Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is one of those days I want to stick a "For Sale" sign on my '66 and say "To hell with it!" Here's the deal . . .

My car has a LONG history of engine scaling problems that has led to constant, reoccuring overheating. I have owned this car now for four summers, and I just put in the third radiator since I've owned it (and I had one of those recored!). The last radiator was installed a month ago, and in the 90 degree weather, she ran cool. I also added an overflow tank for the heck of it as it's a daily driver, and I've been careful to make sure it was never low.

Well, today I was picking up my other car from the shop with my wife when I noticed coolant all over my window. I checked the temperature gauge and sure enough, she was hot. When I got home I popped the hood and noticed that the overflow tube had popped off its fitting at the radiator neck, and the overflow tank was completely full. When it cooled down enough to check the inside of the radiator--you guessed it--there was a bunch of engine scale/rust that had accumulated. Tons of it . . . AGAIN!

Before I installed my present radiator about month ago, I used Prestone acid flush and ran the motor for 12 minutes, then drained it. Then I added some anti-scaling coolant and additive to help prevent it from happening again. So much for my efforts.

So now what? Some tell me to remove the water pump and flush out the motor that way, but that won't really loosen up and flush out scale will it? Others say to remove the freeze plugs and flush it that way--but is that really any different than flushing it at the water pump?

I really don't know what to do. I am going to have to have this radiator rodded out as it is, and the car is now undriveable AGAIN. I really need some HELP!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. Our water here is bad, bad, bad. It's quite rusty if not softened. I will try distilled water from here on out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that something that a radiator shop does? Do they leave the thermostat and waterpump, etc. in, or do they have to remove some of those items?

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
After you rod out your radiator, install a Gano Filter. It's available at any Mustang shop. It goes in your upper radiator hose and screens out the rust debris that is notorious in the 289's,( which I assume you have ), because of casting problems that Ford knew about but went ahead and placed them in production anyway. This, I've been told by two radiator shops. I too have this problem and installed the Gano filter; but I think the damage has already been done. 302's, 351's did not have this problem.
Don't know if there's a website, but you can do a search. The name of the company is: Gano Filter, 1205 Sandalwood Lane, Los Altos, CA, 94024. Tel: (650) 968-7017
Give them a call; they'll give you all the straight scoop.
I believe there has has been several postings on this Gano filter.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
"that is notorious in the 289's,( which I assume you have ), because of casting problems that Ford knew about but went ahead and placed them in production anyway. This, I've been told by two radiator shops."

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm not sure I've heard this story before. Sounds like a great sales line for the Gano though.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I had to use the Gano filer for quite a while Even after my second rebuild I was clogging up my radiator every other week.
A few months with the Gano filter and finally got all the crap out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a Gano filter installed after my rebuild and it worked . . . for awhile. Then the screen inside pulled away and dumped all its contents into my radiator. Then I had a heck of a battle with NPD having it replaced. They wanted me to go to Gano and Gano wanted me to deal with NPD. In the end, I just bought another one. This one lasted half as long and the screen tore away as the first one did. Once again, the result was a mess of rusty scale in the radiator.

I had the clear plastic one, but I'm assuming there is no difference in quality between the screens in the two filters they offer. Am I right?

What was really troubling was the last Gano plugged at the first screen, and was only letting coolant through at the dime-sized hole that leads to the second screen. The rust was so fine it plugged that first screen. And, because the plastic casing gets so dirty, you can't see if it's plugged with that fine rust. I'm assuming, then, that checking it often is the only way to make sure it works correctly?

So, if I install another Gano, should I count on this scaling problem to never end?

Uhg.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Use the brass one this time. Cost a little bit more and has a removable screen cover. Unlike the plastic, you won't be able to view the "contents" of the filter, so every now and then you have to remove it or the hose ass'y to check and clean.

It's a PITA, I know, but a lot cheaper than replacing radiators, yeah?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I agree with "the kid" - I just replaced a new radiator myself because of the same problems with a rebuilt 289.

I tried a Gano and things have been fine since. It's not a big deal to pull the filter every few weeks and clean it. Certainly cheaper and easier than a new radiator.....And eventually the scaling will diminish, I would assume.

Go for the brass Gano. It doesn't cost that much more and will last a lot longer than the plastic one. Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the brass Gano fit inside the hose, totally concealed? If so, I like the sound of that.

Do you think the scale could be hangin' around in my heater core as well? I'm thinking of having the block steam cleaned or pressure washed (whatever they call it), having the heater core replaced, and the radiator recored. Does that sound like overkill? Maybe I should just recore the radiator and have the Gano installed.

Whatever fixes this car!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The Gano (or Mr. Gasket 4385, if you can find them) are the way to go. I have to clean mine once every couple of months, and Lolita doesn't get driven that much.

It's up to you, but I'd replace that radiator. It doesn't cost much more than a recore. The heater core is a definite yes..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, the brass Gano filter fits inside the hose and is totally concealed. If I remember correctly, I paid about $50 for it.

Cheap insurance compared to new radiator or rodding out existing one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts