Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rebuilt my 67 mustang inline 6. yup, I did it. I have not been able to drive the car yet due to it stalling. I need some advise on what it might be.
I rebuilt the engine from the ground up, inside and out. I also have new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, starter, ignition coil. I recently rebuilt the carburetor and it was working before I did the engine rebuild.

I have done the timing and adjusted the idle screw as well.

The engine starts up and runs for a minute or so. I need to keep giving it a little gas to keep it running. The engine makes screeching sound from inside and then stalls out.

Could there be too much pressure inside the engine ? I have not been able to test that yet.
Oil levels are fine, there is plenty of fuel in the carburetor

I have a video with the sound, but it doesn't look like I can post that on VMF. I can email it if that helps diagnose.

Any thoughts on what this could be ?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ca you post a link to your video?
Are you sure the noise is not coming from your belts? If an accessory is having an issue it could be the problem. If it seems to be internal to the engine, my first guess would be a clutch or torque converter mounting problem.
Just a couple of wild guesses to consider..

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Usually belts screech in the beginning and stop once they get hot. I would watch teh motor to see if when it stops it freezes in place or spins loosly to a stop. See how easy it is to turn over after stopping. THat could be a piston siezing which is not good. Are you sure you have coolant flowing, is your oil pressure good?

Drop the oil and see if it looks clean or if it has metal in it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone,

thanks for your comments. Here is a link to the video showing the engine stall

The screech seem likes it's coming from inside the motor and not the belts. The engine comes to a pretty abrupt stop, see the video. I don't think it's a starter issue since the problem happens after the car is running.

I believe I have coolant running, the radiator is full and running through the car. I haven't look at the temp gauge.

I have not drained the oil to see if there is any metal. I am not sure about oil pressure either.

Any other thoughts after looking at this video ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
It is running like the firing order or timing are off. I see some smoke coming from the driver side, maybe blow-by from the oil breather cap. Gotta go back to basics on each system, but something is definitely wrong with when the fuel, air, and spark get together.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
When it screeches to a stop, will it start immediately back up? It sounds like something is knocking to beat hell. Automatic? Maybe the TC slid out of the front pump and is in a bind?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The knocking when it is running concerns me. Check for oil pressure. I have not had this happen to me so I am unsure, but it sure sounds like oil starvation where the bearings heat up and grab the crank and stop it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a manual 3 speed on the floor.
Once it stops, it's difficult to restart. I usually have to wait 5 minutes or so before I can get it to restart, sometimes longer. Oil pressure seems like it could be an issue. How can I test that if the car won't run for that long ?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I'd cut the oil filter apart and check for bearing material. What machine work did you have done to the crankshaft. I have seen this when .010 over bearings were installed on a standard crank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a the cylinders bored, new pistons and rings. head surface was milled down, new cam shaft, all new bearings, new lifters, etc. Original crankshaft.

It runs OK for a minute or so and then makes that sounds and seizes up. Then it's difficult to restart. I guess I have to check the oil as a next step ??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it running better last week, before I messed with the carburetor. I had it idling for between 1-2 minutes with no vibrations. Here is another video to hear that running a little better. It still stalls our like the other video.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I'd bet a dollar to a donut its got the wrong bearings in it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had it running better last week, before I messed with the carburetor. I had it idling for between 1-2 minutes with no vibrations. Here is another video to hear that running a little better. It still stalls our like the other video.

That starts struggling before it shuts down. I'd agree bearing clearance too tight and oiling issues. Pull the oil pan and pull a rod cap and main cap. Bet they look pretty ugly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Get an oil pressure gauge on that engine.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
375 Posts

Agreed with everyone above. Stop with trying to restart and pull the pan. Im certain that the crank is done as well as the bearings. Continuing what you are doing is only going to make it worse. I had that motor in one of my Mustangs and it is silent when it is running. Unfortuneatley yours is not. It will probably need to be gone through again as there is probably metal everywhere IF there is oil pressure and if not, everything will probably have to be done again anyway. Sorry.

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I have a oil pressure gauge on order. I spoke to my machine shop and he thinks the engine is seeing up due to lack of oil. Hopefully I have not done too much damage. The good news is I know what I am doing if I have to redo the build.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts