Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
In your second video the engine seemed smoother than the first video.

I wouldn’t hurt to adjust the carb idle mixture screws and idle speed. But have a vacuum gauge and timing light would also help.

Remove the air cleaner and take a picture of the carb so we can see what you’ve got.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
In your second video the engine seemed smoother than the first video.

I wouldn’t hurt to adjust the carb idle mixture screws and idle speed. But have a vacuum gauge and timing light would also help.

Remove the air cleaner and take a picture of the carb so we can see what you’ve got.
does it seem smoother? i feel like it's the same. you can see my carb in the first video

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ahh yes. Autolite 2 barrel.
I think I see vacuum line coming off of it. Is it connected to anything? If not it needs to be plugged.
the rubber hose coming from the vacuum advance from distributor? it goes to the carb if thats what you mean

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Here comes the curmudgeonly old(ish) guy advice. Please take it in the spirit intended...

Stop playing parts darts. You aren’t diagnosing the situation. You’ve been given some good advice but not fully understanding the systems that are hindering you.

Get the shop manual before you do anything else. Learn how the systems work and the steps needed to diagnose the issue. These include not only what to do but how these systems interact with each other. Until you do that it’s going to be difficult for you to get a handle on what’s happening. It takes time and effort.

You’re understandably frustrated. We feel your pain. We’ve been there. Step away from the car for a couple of days or work on another part or the car. You’ll return refreshed and hopefully with some info you picked up from reading the shop manual. That should give you a new or at least refreshed perspective plus the knowledge of being more familiar with now this all works.

Quick aside to timing lights...
Last year Joel at Snap On Tool Review saw a timing light on the truck and launched into a semi rant about how no one used one and you couldn’t do anything with one on new cars. It gave us old guys a giggle and we had to tell him to get out of the Hyundai dealer more often. Kids these days. :p Fast forward to a couple of months ago. One of the places I meet the truck is a complex that is automotive specific. One of the guys is the “classic car and restoration” expert on one of these pawn shop reality shows. He‘s good. He restores just about anything, old Coke machines, electromechanical signs and plenty of classic cars. He was getting a new timing light and one of the younger techs in the neighboring business attempted to school him on why he didn’t need one. The tech then got a polite, firm, fatherly lesson on why some cars do indeed need a timing light.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
so i swapped out the distributor cap as someone suggested and it wouldn't start. so i put the old one back on and now it won't start. i checked and rechecked the firing order and still nothing. it started fine before i tried to swap the cap. what did i do wrong?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok, so it’s probably something else check the coil? Or the battery from you cranking it repeatedly it may not have power or you “ fed up the rotor,points,condenser when you changed the cap easily done!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Man if you have any luck it is bad luck. All I can say is don't get discouraged. After the many chasing my tail situations with my cars they are always followed by a huge level of satisfaction in finally getting it resolved and a lot of chuckling at myself along the way.

·
Registered
34,672 Posts
Did you knock the ignition lead wire off the coil+ post? Mine's a 90* push on and I've done that before. Otherwise, I'd look to see if you hit the points or a wire with the cap during its removal....or didn't put the wires back in the proper place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i checked all of that stuff. battery was running a bit weak from all the attempts but i boosted it. still no start. it's probably just out of gas. i'll fill it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You said you didn't change the rotor button. It may not be making contact with the new distributor cap center button. Try lifting/bending the rotor up to assure it contacts the cap.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts