Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who around here would have a good strong 351W? I'm looking for a reputable builder that will stand behind thier work. My 351W is pretty much tired as hell. I'd rather get another 351W that's a good shortblock, and put the whole Performer RPM setup on it. Cam, manifold, and the 2.02 heads. That way I can just swap the engines in a weekend (hopefully).

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
What do you consider strong?

How about Ahhhhhhhnold in his prime?
http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/images/00000272.gif

Seriously though...what are you looking to do? Hot street? Occasional drag racing? You don't say anything about your car in your profile: ie 4 spd/auto, gears etc...

Why not buy a long block? Or even a 351 stroker crate motor. Like 393? That would still be a simple bolt in. Keep in mind though if you're going to run aftermarket heads, your exhaust ports may be different than stock and will require car specific headers. Ask me how I know. :wall:

BTW...beautiful car!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a stock car all the way. 351W, FMX, 3.25 9inch, etc. It's a driver so I want a good balance of reliability and performance. That's why I was considering the Edelbrock setup. They claim 400 horse out of their cam/manifold/head combo. A well built stock bottom end should handle that pretty good. I have a set of headers that was made for the 351W by some guy recommended to me from Stans mufflers and headers in Auburn. Nickel plated tri-y design. By the way, your car sits great, what did you do to it, and what size/type wheels are you running? I want my car to sit like that as well.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a 351W that was supposedly a great engine a few years ago. I really don't know the history of it although someone said it had only about 20,000 on it when the car was wrecked. Is that enough disclaimers. ;-)

Currently, it's crammed in a 1965 mustang body with the attached FMX transmission. Anyway, if you are interested, let me know. http://www.geoffe.com/65partscars/65must-partcar2-351W.jpg

Thanks,
-Geoff

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'd like a built engine instead of one to rebuild, but it may turn out different. I'll keep it in mind.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
By the way, your car sits great, what did you do to it, and what size/type wheels are you running? I want my car to sit like that as well.

Of course wheels are the American Racing Torque Thrust 2's.

Fronts: 17x7 with 4" backspace. IIRC tires are 235 45 in size. No rubbing issues whatsoever. I do regret not putting on 16x8. The look of the 7's is a bit narrow for me. 8's with the bigger rubber would look awesome. Plus with the 17's in the front, the car sits a bit high in the front end for my liking. Someday I'll switch over.
Suspension wise in front, I've done the Upper control arm Shelby drop and am running 620lb 1" lowered springs, and IIRC a 1" sway bar.

Rears: 17 x 9.5 with 6" backspace. I probably could have gotten away with 17x10 w/6.5" bs, but I didn't want to push my luck with the fenders. The tires are 275 40. These tires sit inside the well and there might be a 1/2" clearance between the tire and leaf spring. I intially had to tap the sheetmetal of the lower rear inner wheelhouse towards the center of the car due to some rubbing when I took a corner aggressively. I later found out that my u-bolts had stretched and was not keeping the axle centered(that was a doofus waiting to happen).
Suspension wise in rear, I've done heavy duty 4 leafs, with sway bar, under rider traction bars, and 2" lowering blocks. The tires do not rub at all. If they don't rub with the car lowered, they definitely won't rub if you have the stock ride height, but it'll probably look like a Dodge truck with the big gap between the lip and the tire. :puke:

So...in a nutshell, if you want it to sit like mine, you won't be anywhere near stock, but you will be able to enjoy some spirited driving. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hope that helps.

That's why I was considering the Edelbrock setup. They claim 400 horse out of their cam/manifold/head combo.
Do a search on the forum about this setup. I seem to recall quite a few people not being impressed with the performance of that package.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jim Green builds very good Ford motors, but he is a little pricey.
I bought mine from NJ high 5K for a running roller block with Dart aluminum heads. It will arrive around X-mas can't wait.
I think you can't go wrong with Keith Craft if you are looking for crate. approx 6K for a 408CID 500hp, long block
I have also heard that Action Auto Part on Aurora and approx. N 165 street, builds good motors.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts