Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was. exciting a major highway the engine without waringng suddenly shut off for a few seconds, then there was a very loud backfire. I coasted to the edge of the road was able to restart engine which was now loud. Looking under the car one muffler had the bottow blown out. 70 FB 302 2v w/ headers.Am I correct in thinking its a points related problem? Car had been running great. Thanks for any held.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Could be ignition switch or wiring related . I used to think it was fun to shut my old F-100 off while driving down the road and then click the key back on BAAAAWOOOOOOOOM . Loud nifty backfire ...... then one day I did it and my loud backfire was followed by a loud exhaust . I blasted the muffler in half . It was a learning experience .
Like I said , could be a wiring problem too . Check all your connections around the coil and distributor . If you find nothing replace the points and condensor but be expecting the problem to return . I would not replace your muffler until your sure you have it fixed .

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
hehe....we used to do this for fun, but only with a straight pipe..

You had an ignition anomaly, likely in the primary wiring. Air and fuel continued flowing into and out of the engine until the ignition system started again and then ignited the fumes in the exhaust system.

Check ignition primary wiring, ignition switch and coil function. My bet is primary wiring or ignition switch. Unlikely it's points but anything is possible *G*

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i had the SAAAME problem a few weeks ago..turned out to be a poorly connected plug wire to the coil. i just flipped the wire itself around., and, all better. the whole time we had been thinking it was my ignition switch but it wasnt

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the exact problem happen to me. It was a lose connection behind ignition switch. One new muffler and repairs to the lose end of harness and all is well.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts