Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a good strong running 5.0 out of a wrecked 1985 Thunderbird and I will be installing it in the stang. Heres the question... The 5.0 was throttle body fuel injected do I need to do a cam change to run my 4 barrel, or will I be ok with the stock cam?

TIA

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Cant answer your question with complete certainty, but I will say Ive seen many 80's 5.0's with timing gears that are slap worn out from a bad factory design......so if it were my motor, I'd change the timing set.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You don't need to change the cam when converting a 5.0 to carbeuration. That is probably a passenger car cam tuned to make power before 4000 RPM, and, I believe that in 1985, only the Mustangs used "roller" engine blocks, so this engine has a flat-tappet cam, and probably can't be changed into a "roller motor" without an aftermarket conversion kit.
Just a few things to think about.

PS Summit has the same cam as the Edelbrock Performer cam for $60

HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought, I am more concerned that the cam will do o.k. with the 4 barrel. It is only semi temporary. I will be putting together a stroker moter with the engine that is being pulled, but i need to use the car while I build it its a daily driver for now.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,670 Posts
I've done the same thing with a TBI Crown Vic engine. TBI cams get along quite happily with carburetors, even 4 BBLs. Of course the cam will still be bone stock. ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts