Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , my engine started whistling last night. Ok, heres what I did, yesterday I pulled my car into the garage just to put new valve covers on becasue my other ones were leaking, they are the late model efi aluminum type. They fit like a glove, I understand I need an oil shield under the pvc ,I didnt put one on, I think I'll have to rip the one of the old valve cover and somehow screw it to the new one, I didnt realize this until I read about it on this site. Anyways I started it up , I let it idle for a while , no oil leaks. Then drove to my friends house and on the way there I hear a loud whistling noise, so when i get there I pop the hood and try to find out where that noise is coming from, I couldnt tell where it was coming from. Today its back in the garage, I pulled the air cleaner , I started it up,I let it run,I had my head near the engine and the sound seems to come from in front of the carb. I put a rag on top of the carb with my hand over it then the engine dies out,then I started it back up and sprayed some carb cleaner around the front of the carb near the idle mix screws and the idle slightly changes a bit, I dont have the thin tube so i cant spray it in a specific place. I tigtened the nuts that hold the carb down , that didnt help anything, I'm thinking vacuum leak? would that cause a whistling sound its pretty loud, Could i have a vacuum leak through the idle mixture screws? I dont know where else it could be coming from, the motor runs fine, carb is an edlebrock been on there for approx 5 years never a prob or rebuild. I dont know why changing the valve covers would cause this noise, maybe just a coincidence?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm also guessing vacuum leak, I recently had one and tightened carb down a little more and it went away.
Spray carb cleaner around base of carb; if the engine idles faster- definite vacuum leak at carb.
Is you PCV hose connected to anything? Thats a vacuum source

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmmm,just replaced the valve covers and now have a noise.Try pulling the PCV out of the valve cover when it is making the noise and see if it goes away.You maybe pulling the crankcase into vacume.If the noise goes away check the fressh air inlet for blockage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts