Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, I just started my engine 5 minutes ago, for the first time in 2.5 years. I took Camachinist and others advice on adjusting the valves using the take out the lash and add 3/4 turn technique. I also used the Chilton's method of adjusting valves when balancer is at TDC on #1 firing, then at 180 degrees then at 270 degrees. This allows you to set all the valves with only one rotation of the crank. I was way out in my first and second attempts of prior days.

It runs rough now and the valves are going clickity clack, but it beats a carb fire everytime. Now, I have to figure out a way to take out the clickity clack, I am thinking of rotating everything 1/4 turn and see what happens, but that might not be the way to go. Any suggestions? Maybe I better sleep on it. Boy am I excited. Those flowmasters really don't quiet it down much. The tach even works!!!! The only thing that does not appear to work are the gauges and turn indicators/emergency flashers. Maybe I blew out the instrument panel voltage regulator. Probably not since the needles on the gauges have not moved at all.

Anyway, I am excited about this. Thanks again to everyone who helped when I had zero compression.

sure it's fun (most of the time), but it's only a car.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I tohught the idea of Flowmasters were to make a car LOUDER =) That was the idea for me, anyway

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, don't just go tightening the valves willy, nilly, or you'll be right back where you started. Do one side at a time. Get the engine warmed up, and remove one valve cover. Start front to back and just loosen each rocker nut up until it clatters. Then tighten it back down just until the clatter for that one stops, then go about 1/2 turn past that. After the one side's done, replace the valve cover, and move to the other side.

An old valve cover with a slit just wide enough for the socket to go through cut it in works wonders for keeping the oil splatter down. If you don't have an old valve cover, I used to always use a cardboard insert that cases of soda come in (the generic store brand kind) cut in half ... it's almost exactly the same size as a SBF head. You just insert the end sticking into the bottom lip of the head and let it rest against the shock tower. It will help catch the slpashing oil and re-direct it back into the head.

Use caution with the cardboard method ... while I did that for years, there was a post recently from someone that caught the cardboard on fire!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts