Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I got a 1967 coupe with online 6 and c4 transmission in it. i'm planning to replace the engine and transmission with any v8 engine that would require the least modifications. Any recommendations will help! I'm just having hard time starting off with this build.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Any v8 swap is going to require quite a few upgrades. Thankfully, 67 and up had the same spindles i6 or v8 so all youll need is v8 brakes. Discs can be bolted to your spindles. You'll need to swap the rear axle out for an 8" at least. You need the v8 engine and trans.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any v8 swap is going to require quite a few upgrades. Thankfully, 67 and up had the same spindles i6 or v8 so all youll need is v8 brakes. Discs can be bolted to your spindles. You'll need to swap the rear axle out for an 8" at least. You need the v8 engine and trans.
im planning to go disc brakes all around either way. that's been on the list. and rear axle makes sense too. 7.25 wont be able to hold much power. That tells me I would need a new driveshaft as well? and what about the sway bar? Would it hit the oil pan on v8? if yes, would changing the oil pan would solve that issue?

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I've never heard of the sway bar being different i6 to v8.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Kulrajg, are you looking for an engine to build, or to buy and drop in ? whats available as raw material where you are ? 351Ws are sturdy and usually not overly expensive. And a 393 stroker can be built very economically. How much power are you looking for ? LSG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kulrajg, are you looking for an engine to build, or to buy and drop in ? whats available as raw material where you are ? 351Ws are sturdy and usually not overly expensive. And a 393 stroker can be built very economically. How much power are you looking for ? LSG
I'm just looking for something to drop right in. anywhere in 1.5k range. power doesnt have to be as much. anything over 250 is more than good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
If you can't find a 289 there are tons of 68and up 302s and millions of 5.0s that are a great candidate for an aluminum intake and a carb to feed it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hello everyone. I got a 1967 coupe with online 6 and c4 transmission in it. i'm planning to replace the engine and transmission with any v8 engine that would require the least modifications. Any recommendations will help! I'm just having hard time starting off with this build.
where are you located at ? Im about to pull my good 302 and fresh AOD to replace with a 427 and 6R80. But I'm located north of Houston TX.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You need to decide if you're going the economical route or whole hog. I have a 289 and C4 that i pulled from my 67 just taking up space in my garage. This time around I'm going whole hog with a 408 stroker and an AOD. I live near Chicago if you're in the neighborhood and interested let me know.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Plan on doing all the other stuff it needs first, like the axles, steering and suspension.
You might loose interest or run out of money before the V8 goes in and you can sell it to some one that appreciates it for what it is.:(

Reactions: Rabidus
1 - 10 of 10 Posts