Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, its me again, ('67 Coupe) well I recently flattened my cam, which allowed me to finally prioritize getting the engine rebuilt... and let me do some other stuff while my engine was at the shop. So yesterday I go and get my engine back from this place, and he gives me a shock (a good suprise... I think...). The guy tells me that my engine (out of my 67 Coupe with 289 written all over it), is in fact a '67 302 block, with '65 289 heads on it!!! He ported out the heads to 302 specs and all, but I am wondering if there will be any conflicts now because all this time I've been buying 289 stuff. I know the engines are similar, but are they that similar? What stuff doesn't swap? Thanks a lot you guys!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You should have no problems with anything in the motor. The basic block and heads are the same. There are some minor differences, but nothing that you would ever notice. Everything that you've bought will bolt up just fine.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
7,102 Posts
I'm a little confused my your mechanic's theory. I thought that 302's didn't even come out until '68. Also, I thought that it was a running change in '68 with all blocks being the same and a different crank being used to increase the stroke to 3" and get the additional displacement. You say your engine says 289 all over it. Does it have "289" cast in the lifter valley (under the intake manifold) like mine does? What is the date code on the block? C7 would indicate 1967.

That being said, I don't think it really matters what the block is. 289 or 302 will depend on the stroke, not the block. If the heads are off it would be simple to measure the difference in piston top to deck face between TDC and BDC.
Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
302 did not come out till 1968. Should not matter if it is a 289 or 302 block, bore size is the same.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My advice, see Bob Mannels book on the Small Block Ford, 1962-1969, it will explain, Ford's Cleveland's plant I believe ran out of 289 marked blocks in 67, so substituted the block intended for 68 302 production, to make matters worse, the Windsor plant ran out in spring of 68 and started using 302 blocks as well!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the info, and the help. What I said about "289 all over it", I meant that the car says 289 all over it, not the engine... Under the intake manifold (in the valley) it does say 302, and then there is a symbol in a small circle that I thought has the numbers 1967... maybe I read it wrong? But then like I said, in each head there is a 289, and a 65... The engine is at a buddy's house, I'll try to find some more codes on it tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts