Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 289 has been running great! Now the engine surges, esp. at idle. So much so that it will actually stall the car. Recently replaced the fuel pump w/ a new Carter one because it was doing the same thing only to a lesser degree. I have the idle set up to keep it going, but what is up? Need help!
Thx, diArdi

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Have you checked the float level of the carb? If the float level is too high, it can cause a surge at idle when the bowl fills up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the Carter fuel pump has a fuel filter canister and like I said, I just changed it. Hmmm, how would I go about checking for too lean?
Thx

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
If the surge started suddenly after the carb was working ok, then I would guess it's more likely that some crud/dirt could be the cause. Some little grain of gunk broke lose and is interferring with fuel flow/delivery.

What kind of carb?

I'm not that familiar with stock Ford 2100/4100. In a Holley you would want to check the needle/seat and the bowls for bits of dirt. Edelbrock would need the top pulled off to check the bowls and the jets.

Maybe time for a re-build on your carb. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Check for a vacuum leak.. could cause a surge by leaning out the mixture, make sure you check the throttle shafts for play and leakage also.. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts