Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my mint 66" mustang coupe in to this shop 3 months ago to have the 6-8 engine swap completed. The suspension was allready converted, all that was needed was the engine, linkange, and a few other small things. I paid upfront for the engine so that it could be built by the time my car was brought to the shop, installation was the balance.

They qouted me 2 weeks for the swap to be completed. As of today its been around 3 months... and the engine still is not in the car.

I live in Saint Paul, MN. I will probally end up having to tow the car out, if I want to get it done this summer. I dont know of any other shops to bring it to, or if I should try doing this myself? I am only 17 and just really want to drive the car. I would have never considered doing this if I knew the shop was going to do this. Any advice would be helpfull~!!

Thanks Alot,

David

·
Registered
298 Posts
David,

I live in the Twin Cities area and there is a Mustang Shop in Shakopee that is suppose to do pretty good work (might be expensive). I can ask around for you for places that do engine swaps. E-mail (in my profile) and I'll try to help you find an alternative shop.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
David,

You could do this on your own. If the motor is together and ready to install then it's mostly just a case of sourcing the remaining parts, nuts and bolts and bolting it in. Not a big deal, but it does take some time and some knowledge. You would be miles ahead if you know someone who can give you a hand. You should get a "real" shop manual (not a chilton) and a few catalogs.

I'm curious why the shop has been so slow to do this work for you. Are they not sure what to do, or do they just not need your money?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Two weeks should have been enough time to do the motor swap, if the shop or you provided the parts necessary, it is a straight forward procedure. You need the 4 piece V8 motor mount set, the V8 gas pedal arm and carb arm, a V8 radiator and of course a tranny the V8 will bolt to. Of course you will need the exhaust and V8 engine gauge feed harness, both of these can be bought outright new -relatively cheap. Likewise for the radiator, carb arm and engine side motor mounts. About the only part not repo'd is the gas pedal arm, you can purchase the frame side mounts new, but used ones are easy to locate. Do you have any V8 parts cars to donate some of this stuff-they are a great way to save money. I was just out your way a couple of weeks ago -Burnsville area, it was hot! If you had the pieces and the motor was complete and all together, I would say you could probably tackle it yourself in a driveway or garage. An engine boom would be required, they can usually be rented. Alot of the pieces, alternator, exhaust can easily be installed after the motor itself is set in. The wiring on the older cars is pretty simple, about the hardest part would be getting motor set in and tranny aligned-might take a couple of hours if you are new to it, figure another 8-10 hours likewise in getting everything hooked up, plan ahead, have new radiator hoses etc on hand.One more thing you will also need to re-route the gas line, either by lengthening the 6 cyl one on car, or by replacing with a V8 one that enters just below washer bag up front in engine bay.Good luck, sorry to hear you haven't been able to drive your car yet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey bro, sorry to hear about the shop takin too long, I know the waiting feeling though...like the one I have as I sit here and wait for friggin UPS to deliver my new cam =( Anyway, im also 17 and have my motor pulled at the moment. Since you said the suspension was already done, there is really no reason you shouldnt be able to do the motor drop in yourself(if the motor is already built) While many of the guys on here don't know it, my 'stang owes a lot to quite a few of the guys on this forum and im sure they can walk you through whatever you decide to do. Im 17 and im bout to drop my block back in. I'll be takin quite a few pics w/ my digital camera, so if you need a pic of something, just email me. Godd luck with whatever you choose.
-Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts