Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I've been working on my 67 mustang vert for the last year and finally got it painted and put back together. I pulled out the old 302 out of the car and sold it. (Was totally trashed and had a crack in the block). So now I'm looking for budget builds to swap in a modern-day engine. I know this has been discussed a lot when searching the forums and still have some questions left over.

I have the option to buy a running 97 GT 4.6L mustang engine with 50K miles on it from a friend for $350.

How much work would be needed to swap this into my car? I don't want to mess with the computers so I would be looking at converting it back to the carb. Also, I'm not sure if this would require cutting the shock towers. If so I'm not doing that. What year engines should I look for then if the 97 4.7 is too big?

My car was rewired with the American Auto Wire modern update kit. Would I need to replace any part of this to make a more modern-day engine work?

The transmission is a rebuilt C4 that can handle 375HP.

The rear end is still an 8 inch, but the gear ratio has been increased to 3.25.

Should I go with this engine or should I look for something else that might be easier to swap in?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
Should I go with this engine or should I look for something else that might be easier to swap in?
The second thing. A 4.6 like that is wide, heavy, and low on power. Requires major surgery to your car to make if and if there's a way to put a carburetor on one of those I haven't seen it. And in any case, the exact same engine about 2001 would have factory "performance improved" heads on it which are worth about 50 horsepower. Hence earlier 4.6's go really cheap.

A 5.0 engine from a Ford Explorer is likely your best option to upgrade. For the most part one of those will fit right in where your 302 was. On lunch break and leaving out a LOT of details, but it will basically fit OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts