Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm a newb to old mustangs. I've talked to a few people about this topic, but I'd still like to get input from all of you experts here. I may be purchasing a 66 mustang with the I6 engine in it. I also found that a friend has a 289 V8 from a 68 that I may be able to have for next to nothing. I was wondering about the implications of swapping out the I6 for the V8. I was told that the suspension probably won't be able to handle the increase, nor will the brakes. Any input anyone has is greatly appreciated.

~Gowrons

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
An interesting thought, although I may be able to get the engine for free, which would help.

Brings to mind another question: What is the going rate for a decent 66 mustang coupe-good mechanical, but in need of paint and interior work?

Thanks again

~Gowrons

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You would have to replace the front spindles, other front end parts, tranny, driveshaft, entire rear end, etc, etc. My advice is buy what you want. Let somebody buy the I6 that appreciates it for what it is, and save yourself a lot of work and money. My prejudice is obvious. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
let me tell you, as someone in the middle of the conversion, if youve got time and money to burn, and the expertise to do it right, its a doable project. When your done you essentially have replaced everything under the car....all the suspension, brakes and drivetrain, so your gonna have to hunt down all the specific parts for the front end, and the engine you want, trans you want ect. Non of this is particularly hard to find, but the way prices are on mustang stuff now it can be pricy. On the other hand if you want to be able to customise all these things on your car, this may be the way to go. But just know its costly, and time consuming. My advise as stated above is if you want a V8 mustang, buy one, its cheaper and youll be able to drive it right away. You can always upgrade individual parts from there.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Both of you, thanks for the info on the swap. In light of these revelations, I'll be not doing that now, unless someone gives me the parts for free (lol). I don't know if I can afford the extra expense of buying a V8 car, seeing as how there aren't any in my general area, so I'd have to pay transportation fees, plus the extra cost of the car itself.

Anyone know what the going rate for a normal 66 hardtop I6 is?

Thanks,

~Gowrons

·
Registered
310 Posts
I find it funny that ppl say it cost more to do the swap than to buy a V8 car to start with.. Alot of the ppl who buy the V8 cars now adays end up replacing everything anyway for performance... I mean by the time you add the disk brakes, stroker motor , 9in. rear, and performance suspension and steering.. you have compleated 98% of a 6->8 conversion.. Now thats not to say that everyone who buys an 8 changes everything or at least all at once like u have to for a 6, buy enough ppl are restomodding these days that it doesn't really matter what they start with..

Now if u just want a basic mostly stock mustang then doing the 6->8 conv. isnt practical..

AJ

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with Aronj66. I know that I've said this on here so many times that you're all sick of it, but this is really a relative question and answer. For those of us in the upper midwest where the roads are white with salt for most of the winter, the I6 to V8 swap makes a lot more sense than for those in the southwest. Rust free to minimal rust I6 mustangs are thousands of dollars cheaper than the equivalent V8. It's not uncommon to find an ok (no panel replacement rust) I6 65-66 coupe for $3-4k, while the equivalent V8 may run $6-7k. For that matter, rusty but drivable V8s often run in the $3-4k range. Mechanical components are easier, faster, and cheaper to replace than rust repair is to perform or have done. Plus, like stated above, often most of the suspension and brakes need replaced for safety or for performance anyway. Oh yeah, it's tough to find a classic whose parts, in general, are cheaper and easier to find than the 65-66 stang.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hey,

Well, I have a feeling I will end up not doing this swap, seeing as how I want to try to keep this car original for better resell value. I had figured if there wasn't too much to change, I would just swap in the engine, and then take it back out before I sell it some time down the road. This would have been a great option, but not if i need new suspension at the least, and probably front discs.

The standard C4 tranny also came hooked up to the V8, right? So no tranny change would be needed?

~JP

·
Registered
228 Posts
Actually, unless the car is in pristine to concourse condition, swapping the V8 correctly will usually increase the value of the car. It's fairly uncommon for buyers to be looking for an I6 car and they are a dime a dozen. Additionally, I'm finding that resto-mods and engine swap cars are doing quite well on the market. You don't NEED discs, after all 4 wheel drums on V8s were far more common, but they are really nice safety and performance upgrade. Most cars that are this old often need the suspension gone through unless it has recently re-done. Just a part of owning a classic car. The C4 was the auto behind the V8s in the 65-66, but I'm not sure if they are the same for the V8 and the I6. Do a search on C4 here on the forum, I'm sure that this has been addressed. Personally, I'm going back and forth between a 5-speed and an AOD. My car was originally a I6 3sp and my parts car was a 289 3sp, so I can pretty easily go either direction. If you don't want the kick in the pants of the V8, just enjoy the I6.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Hey,

Thanks for the info. I figured the drums would stop it fine. Assuming i have to redo the suspension, I doubt I will have money left over from that to add in discs on the front. Maybe, but I doubt it. I've always driven big cars that stop poorly, so the difference won't bug me, although it could kill me :p.

~Gowrons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts