Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a car for my daughter, a 95 mustang w/4cyl c4 tranny. I got it for 300.00 cause the engine is bad, interior is great and my brother does paint/body so a fresh paint job will be nice in time for graduation. I'd like to know the easiest way to swap the 4cyl for a v6 or v8 (scary). Would that be to buy a wrecked one so I get the wiring harness, computer, etc. Then I'd simply- (yeah)rebuild the motor. Since it's for her I'd rather stay away from a carb and stick w/ fuel injected. Pls reply with other concerns I may face.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Are you asking about a '79 to '93 model rather than a '95, since the 4 cyl wasn't offered in the stang after '93? As far as swapping the motor, the ideal situation is to buy a donor car so you can compare and scavange everything needed. My advice however is to simply get a direct replacement 4 cyl motor, because just about everything gets changed with the engine (engine mounts, trans, radiator, computer, harness, trans cooler lines, fuel lines, etc). I've heard numerous times that it's cheaper and easier to sell your 4 cyl car and buy a V6 or V8 car than it is to do the swap, but that hasn't stopped a bunch of people from doing it because in spite of all the details involved it is basically a bolt in job as long as your engine choice was a factory option. You can probably find a lot more info on the topic at stangnet.com, they have some late model forums that should have more people who are better aquainted with the newer generation stangs than this vintage forum.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I don't think the 4 cylinder Fox chassis Mustangs ever recieved a C4, I seem to recall they had a smaller auto trans.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts