Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LIVE IN THE SAN PEDRO CALIFORNIA /LOS ANGELES AREA AND I'M LOOKING FOR A GOOD MECHANIC TO CHANGE OUT MY IN-LINE 6 AUTOMATIC TO A V8 MANUAL ON A '67 COUP. ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA HOW MUCH TO EXPECT IT TO COST?

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Welcome to the VMF .
I don't have any direct info on your search, But we could guide you along if it was something you wanted to DIY.
One last thing ,as a forum etiquette type of thing turn your cap lock button off

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
You are going to get raked over the coals asking a mechanic to take on a job like that. You're going to need engine, transmission, rear end, rear brakes, front brakes and associated parts, front springs, exhaust, plus odds and ends. Then the mechanic will certainly find other stuff wrong. It's hard for me to even think about it, but if you just dropped your car off I'd guess an average shop where the guy is probably going to have your car FOREVER, $10,000? And be assured that if you leave it up to him to find all the parts, he'll do what he can to cut costs. A good shop that specializes in restorations, and perhaps Mustangs? $15000? Maybe more? I could see it being higher. It's just too broad of a project.

Best to learn to do it yourself. If you buy the engine and rear center section already assembled the rest is just regular wrenching. High school students could do it.

Second best thing would be to do some of it yourself (rear axle, brakes, suspension). And do the research needed to buy and bring all the required drive train parts to the mechanic. But by the time you do that you may feel you know enough to just do it yourself anyway.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you need any of the parts for the conversion - 289 V8, bellhousing + clutch, 8" rear end, driveshaft, steering pitman arm, exhaust (headers, midpipes, and mufflers), and some other misc parts too let me know...I'm in northwest L.A. near Simi Valley.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I did my 6 to 8 swap back in 2006, I spent around $8000. That included $5000 for the crate motor, $900 for the rear end, and all the other miscellaneous parts like steering, wheels and tires, exhaust, brakes and such. I saved all the labor costs by doing it myself. I can only imagine how much a shop today would charge for a 6 to 8 swap. Like others have stated, once you have all the parts, its a pretty simple and fun swap.

·
Registered
37,651 Posts
Alot depends on whether you want to simply swap out the old for "used" stuff or want the new V8-specific components to be all rebuilt/remanufactured and warranteed. Sure, you can get a late model 5.0 from a junkyard for a couple hundred bucks... to pay someone I'd think the cost of parts and labor could range anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on whether you want a 302/5.0 carbureted engine and a T-5 manual or a FE-engined TKO or Toploader. Awhtx may be on the right track, especially if your current car needs other work, besides.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
You’ll be shocked at the price!

I’d be afraid to even imagine. Who will source the items and from where? New or used,....any warranty?

Ouch,.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WE NEED MORE DETAILS TO GIVE YOU AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE BUT COUNT ON IT COSTING SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS TO HAVE A SHOP DO IT RIGHT. MULTIPLE SYSTEMS LIKE BRAKES AND REAR END NEED TO BE UPGRADED. ALSO YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON.
Several thousand? That sounds right but it covers a lot of ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alot depends on whether you want to simply swap out the old for "used" stuff or want the new V8-specific components to be all rebuilt/remanufactured and warranteed. Sure, you can get a late model 5.0 from a junkyard for a couple hundred bucks... to pay someone I'd think the cost of parts and labor could range anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on whether you want a 302/5.0 carbureted engine and a T-5 manual or a FE-engined TKO or Toploader. Awhtx may be on the right track, especially if your current car needs other work, besides.
Do you think a late model 5.0 would be compatible with my '67 mustang? That sounds good, and $5,000.00 sounds doable. $50,000.00 not so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I did my 6 to 8 swap back in 2006, I spent around $8000. That included $5000 for the crate motor, $900 for the rear end, and all the other miscellaneous parts like steering, wheels and tires, exhaust, brakes and such. I saved all the labor costs by doing it myself. I can only imagine how much a shop today would charge for a 6 to 8 swap. Like others have stated, once you have all the parts, its a pretty simple and fun swap.
Thanks, that gives me an idea of what will be involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you need any of the parts for the conversion - 289 V8, bellhousing + clutch, 8" rear end, driveshaft, steering pitman arm, exhaust (headers, midpipes, and mufflers), and some other misc parts too let me know...I'm in northwest L.A. near Simi Valley.
So you have me curious-do you do any of this kind of work for other people?

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Do you think a late model 5.0 would be compatible with my '67 mustang? That sounds good, and $5,000.00 sounds doable. $50,000.00 not so much.
the old 5.0 Fox Mustang , Crown Vic, Explore Yes.
the new Coyote 5.0 not without butchering the front end

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldnt trust a shop or anyone to do it right. I think you should just buy a v8 car and sell yours. It faster, less headache and cost less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I LIVE IN THE SAN PEDRO CALIFORNIA /LOS ANGELES AREA AND I'M LOOKING FOR A GOOD MECHANIC TO CHANGE OUT MY IN-LINE 6 AUTOMATIC TO A V8 MANUAL ON A '67 COUP. ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA HOW MUCH TO EXPECT IT TO COST?
I have looked at all the replies as of 5/25/2020 and I thank everyone for posting. Now I know that it will be either a fun job that a high school student could do or a huge project that would take forever for a shop to do and possibly cost up to $50,000.00. Now I'm looking for a competent mechanic in my area who could do the job, and preferably even specializes in that kind of work. I would be willing to go to Torrance, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Gardena, or really any place within 50 miles of San Pedro.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
I have looked at all the replies as of 5/25/2020 and I thank everyone for posting. Now I know that it will be either a fun job that a high school student could do or a huge project that would take forever for a shop to do and possibly cost up to $50,000.00. Now I'm looking for a competent mechanic in my area who could do the job, and preferably even specializes in that kind of work. I would be willing to go to Torrance, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Gardena, or really any place within 50 miles of San Pedro.
this , like I said we could help if you wanted to DIY
Even seen several girls do it. These cars are pretty simple to work on

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
jack, my advice is to do the job yourself, t least as much as you can. yours is a bit simpler in that you dont have to scare up some V8 spindles to convert to disc brakes, since in 67 the six and V8 spindles are the same, so that saves money and time.

you will have to scare up a rear end though, easier than it sounds since you can grab a V8 rear end from a number of cars, any 67-70 mustang, any V8 maverick, any granada though 1979, any 67-70 cougar, any monarch through 1979, any V8 comet, any V8 falcon frpm1964 though 1970, the torino falcon though built in late 1970, is too wide. you can also get ahold of currie enterprises in your area and have them build you a rear end.

as for using a late model 5.0 from a fox body car, go for it. just remember that you ahve to change out the oil pan and front cover to the earlier style. not hard to do at all as they swap over easily. so front cover, oil pan, oil pump pick up, water pump, add a fuel pump, and other odds and ends, and have a period correct look. if you dont want to go that far, just changing the oil pan and oil pump pick up, and use the later model timing cover and accessories, including the serpentine belt, and reverse flow water pump. the only issue is where to check the oil at. in that case you can drill the timing cover to install a dipstick tube.

understand that swapping an engine is all in the details.

oh the other things you are going to have to swap out are the transmission, and suspension springs, i consider a brake swap a no brainer, discs up front big drums in the rear.

if you are in the same position i am in, and have trouble these days working on your own car due to various infirmities, you can enlist the help of your local high school auto shop class. they get experience, you save money, and the job gets done, though it will likely take the semester to do it.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
This is going to be a Huge can of worms. I can’t imagine any shop specializing in this, nor can I wrap my head around the warranty which I’d want if I were buying.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
My car was originally a 390 with too loader. When I got it someone had put in a 302 with a c4.

I hunted down every single 390 and top loser specific piece. It was a lot of insane research but worth it all.

As said here yours will be harder you will need suspension, rear end, engine mounts, transmission mounts, brakes, clutch pedal, it will also be easier as you can get modern parts and don’t need to find big block parts.

Enjoy the process and start learning. It will be fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts