Vintage Mustang Forums banner

engine swap

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mr_velocity 
#1 ·
hey everyone.

im new here. i not sure if this is the right place for the thread but here it goes. i have a 1965 mustang coupe with numbers matching 289. that motor is in need of some help. i know someone who is selling a complete 1987 302 minus the intake mani and the carb for $120 he has had it for awhile and needs money fast for a trip he is going on tomorrow. my father in law says that its new technology and wont work because it would need o2 sensors and computer. from what i have read it will bolt right in. with it being carbed im not sure what computer is needed. can someone straighten me out on this?

he also says to get this 1966 donor coupe for 500 instead. but i think this motor would be just as tired as my 289

#4 ·
I have a 65 that I installed a 1986 302 mustang motor in. If your not going with the Fuel injection that the motor came with then you wouldn't install the computer or need to install Sensors (o2). All you need to do is install an intake w/carb, a set of header (or use your stock stuff off of the 289) and run with it. There may be other things you may want to do to get the best performance out of the 302 (CAM, Intake W/perf. Carb, headers and so forth) but I'm thinking your trying to save money or you would be rebuilding the 289. Good luck....

#5 ·
Sorry,
You need to change the oil pan and pick up also in the newer motor. The 302 is a what they call a 2 hump and WILLN'T work. I think your 289 pan will work but I'd go with a new oil pump and pick up.

#6 ·
ok cool. yeah im trying to go the cheaper route right now since we are in the process of doing all the body work, 1 more small panel on the driver door to replace then its bondo and primer time. the 289 oil pump broke when we tried to start it and it stalled on us. we pulled the oil pan and everything was bone dry. there was plenty of oil but the shaft on the pump snapped. we pulled the bearings and they are nothing but copper. havent pulled the heads again to see what the cylinders look like after it stalled up. but instead of just replacing the oil pump and running the motor and ruining it, im looking for something to replace it for now. the motor im looking at is $120 for everything minus the intake and carb. so i think that will be the way to go until i rebuild the 289.

do yall think that i should rebuild the 289 and put it back in. there are so many options right now.

#7 ·
I had the same issue with mine, broken oil pump but someone ran it that way on the previous owner. Smoked the motor, not even worth doing the machining on. Picked up a 1990 302HO for $300 mating that to a 4R70W trans.

You'll probably need to change the flywheel also, DO NOT USE THE ONE FROM THE 289. The flywheel on the 302 is probably 164 tooth, you need 157 if you keep the original trans. You just need to fine a 50oz imbalance 157 tooth flywheel.

#8 ·
your right!

I forgot that. You do need a different flywheel... if the 302 has it and it's in good shape use it or you can have it resurfaced . I would replace the Clutch why you are their also.

#11 ·
I forgot that. You do need a different flywheel... if the 302 has it and it's in good shape use it or you can have it resurfaced . I would replace the Clutch why you are their also.
The 302 likely has a 164 tooth flywheel (flexplate), his trans will likely need a 157 tooth flyweel.

C4s and T5s used a 157 (well C4s depending on which car it came out of but in a mustang its 157)

Any way you cut it, he'll probably need a flywheel or flexplate.

#10 ·
rebuild or not?

I like original cars. If it an original motor to the car I would rebuild and put it back in, but as you said there are many different options. But the car will be worth more as time goes on if has the original stuff.

#12 ·
Newer 302's had 157 flywheels too. Pretty sure just the 351W had 164. Either way, you won't need the flywheel from the newer 302. Just swap yours on. Be sure to get the timing cover and oil pan from your 289 and put it on the 302. I'd use a 1 piece oil pan gasket too. Much easier to install and it works better.

#14 ·
well here is an update. i bought the 302. everything looked good. the cylinder walls were in good shape, the crank turned good, it all looked pretty good. so i got it home and found this

where the dip stick goes it looks like he took a 4.5inch angle grinder and started in on the dip stick hole. its hard to see but he ended up hitting a water jacket. you can put a rod into the hole and it will touch the bottom of the oil pan. then you can pull the rod out some, turn in 90degrees and put the rod into a water jacket. i dont know what is going on here. does anyone have any ideas. he ground out about 1/2 inch worth of metal.

#15 ·
You better check out that engine, something doesn't sound right. By 87, all engines were FI, even trucks. Maybe the guy is just throwing the carb term around and it really is a 87 or it's an older motor. Check it out first!

I'd say if it really is a 87, go for it. If it was a Mustang 5.0, it'll have fordged pistons and a decent roller cam. One thing great about these newer motors is that they have metric piston rings with have lower tension and don't wear the cylinder walls. Even after 100,000 these motors don't usually have any appreciable wall wear.

Some of the things you'll need to do: Get a 50 oz unbalance flywheel to work for your trans. If stick, use the T5 flywheel, C4, you'll need to get one made for this swap, meating a 50 oz C4 flexplate from the after market as this was not a factory option. Maybe a C5 version would work ( used in early 80's, a C4 that had a lock up converter).Do not use a flat tappet gear on a roller cam! One last thing, a fuel pump eccentric. I've read though, that some roller cam motors actually came from the factory with the eccentric. One last thing that just popped into my head. You'll need to get some to get some plugs from your local Ford dealer to block off the ports in the back of the heads for the smog pump tube. They use these plugs in the front of the heads since the heads are reversible.

You also can use the new permanent magnet starter as well from 5.0 Mustangs. They're a lot smaller, stronger and use less power.

#17 ·
oh i am. i have already talked to the guy. he said it ran fine when he pulled it. he said he pulled the motor and it has been sitting right where it was when i got there for the last year. he said that he doesnt no what happened to it. it was at his work so maybe he is telling the truth and doesnt know what happened and maybe someone he works with messed it up. and after thinking more about it, i only paid 80 bucks for the motor and 40 for the heads. thats a pretty good price i thought and now it see why. but he is giving me my money back and also meeting up with me at a closer location. so i guess i will be looking into rebuilding the 289.

have any idea what this guy was trying to do to the block?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.