Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have searched for the information needed to decode an engine tag without any luck.

Would someone mind telling me what this tag decodes to:

289 65 8
5-F 551-J

Many thanks,
Ben.

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ben, tag should decode like this.

289-engine displacement
65-model year
8-change level (whatever that means?)

5-year of production (1965)
F-month (june)
551J-Engine code number (book shows this to be C code 289 two
barrel carb engine)

Hope this helps, John.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Change level "8" indicates the water pump being changed to the cast iron style (a change from the aluminum pumps), and the appropriate timing cover redesign to accommodate it. Effective on engines assembled 05/65 - 09/65.

BTW, 551-J translates not only to a 289-2v, but one with an automatic tranny. A manual tranny fitted to a 289-2v would be 550-J.

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, fantastic information.

Where can I find this data?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Chris,

Change Level 5 was the change from a 5 bolt to a 6 bolt block for the 289.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you mean Bob Mannel's book, it is THE reference for Ford small blocks! Due to research ALWAYS continuing, I don't think you'll ever find a single reference that has EVERYTHING. Bob's book is probably as close as you'll come to being a complete reference. He's also on other forums and is a very willing guy to share is wealth of knowledge.

BTW Chris, the book is as thick as a phone book for a small city. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best bang for your buck references you can buy. If you shop around, you can get it at a pretty reasonable price (not to say the list price is extreme, 'cause it's pretty reasonable too!).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My tag reads as follows:

289 E 66 FoMoCo
B 236-S 11

It is exactly like the one at the bottom of page 6-7 of Mannel's book, except for the letter "B" instead of "D."

Bob's book says that my engine was one of the first 289's from the "Windsor" engine plant which was introduced with ECL Engineering Change Level L11.
He says L11 the first cahnge to incorporate "rail-type" rockers. My heads seem to have never been off until now and have the original type head gaskets.

BUT...My heads do not have the rail rockers. They have pressed in studs and individual rockers.

My question is: Is the rail-type rockers an absolute characteristic of L11 Windsor engines? If this is absolute, then my heads were changed EARLY in my engine's life, using OE head gaskets.

My exhaust manifolds are also attached to my heads using the "non-ramp" bolts, no exhaust gaskets, and the saddle straps to keep the manifold bolts from loosening up.

All this tells me that these heads and exhaust maifolds are probably original to this engine. If the "B" on my engine tag means that the engine was assembled at Windsor in FEB 66, does all this make sense?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
OK...OK... Now I understand! Rail-Type doesn't mean all rockers are one a single shaft. It means the rockers have a lip that keeps the pushrods aligned. I DO HAVE RAIL ROCKERS AND ROUND PUSHROD HOLES IN THE HEADS.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
His compilation of facts probably took at least 10 years. In the very old MMonthlies, guys would write in with ??'s and Mannel would reply. He was not an employee of MMonthly but freely offered his knowledge. Usually, MMonthly would footnote, mentioning that Mannel was writing a book on Ford engines. At the 35th Anniversary, met him and his wife-they were selling copies of his book which had recently come out. A friend I was with, asked him several questions re the Hipo engine in his 67 Shelby. Mannel was like a walking encyclopedia, on the topic of engines! nice Guy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Axe101x - welcome to VMF !
I’m not sure if you are aware, you have asked a question on a post from 11 yrs ago. This happens fairly frequently over on the Vintage section where I spend most of my time. I suggest you start a new thread with your question either here in the Concours section or over on the Vintage section. There are a ton of knowledgeable people
on here and hopefully they can get you the answer.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts