Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to build a stand that I can run my engine on. My question is, with a manual, I can use the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and the bellhousing and not need a tranny connected. However, what do I do with my auto motor? I think with just the flexplate and no torque converter or tranny it may rev too quickly. Or can I just bolt on an empty torque converter for extra mass, and use just the C4 bellhousing? If I need to, I'll build the cart to hold the whole tranny setup,and since I'll install it in the car that way, that may be the best solution, after all.
I plan to have a radiator in the front using the Mustang's dimensions so I can use the same hoses, and will use the Mustang's motor mounts, and have oil, water and temp gauges. I've also built a wiring harness for an ignition switch, alternator/regulator charging system, and kill button on top of the radiator, for emergencies. The battery is mounted below, along with a 2-gallon gas tank. Any more thoughts for this project? I'll take some photos as I progress. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You need to mount the flywheel of proper balance for your engine. Its not practical to mount a flex plate and auto tranny just to run the engine. You also have to mount the harmonic and accessory pulleys in order to run the water pump. You have to attach the water pump to a radiator. Of course you have to have some type of fuel induction and exhaust system attached. Note, do not run completely open heads or shorty headers (stock headers also) without at least 6' of header pipe installed. This is necessary to keep heat in when you shut the engine down to preclude valve damage. Tie a piece of wire around a non-oily rag and put the rag into open pipes making sure the wire retains the rag so you can fetch it out of the pipe once the engine cools. RPM won't run away unless you go to WOT and don't have a tach on your test stand. Note that you can't test torque or hp with this arrangement because you have no load for the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts