Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the mach 1 mustangs of 1970 ( both cleveland & windsor ) had the 6 digit consecutive number of the VIN, stamped into the small flat pad at the rear of the engine ( just above the bell housing ) like the boss 302 mustangs did.

If anybody could help me out, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for listening!
Marc

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I don't think so, unless it was a Boss 302, then it got a partial vin, like the last 5-6 digits (and I might be wrong about that). I don't know about the Boss 429's

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
Starting in 68, it was federally mandated that certain components of a vehicle be stamped with at least a partial vehicle VIN, regardless of make, model etc.

Any car made in 68 or later ***should*** have the vin stamping on the block. Sometimes it did not get stamped, or through engine rebuild and subsequent machining may have been accidentally removed.

About very car I've owned has the VIN stamping on the block, some on the trans as well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Only Bosses and Shelbys had VIN's stamped on the engine. Unfortunately, this means most vintage Mustangs can never be "numbers matching" the way a Corvette can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts