Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my car ready to run and I’ve got a few wiring questions after I finished installing the wiring harness in the engine bay. Which leads go to the coil? Which lead goes to the oil pressure switch? How many grounds should I have? TIA

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can go to Midlife's home web page (link below) and download a wiring diagram for your application. That will tell you which wire color combination goes to which connection.
Rich

http://www.geocities.com/midlife66

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Red-Green Stripe = Coil
White-Red Stripe = Oil Pressure

Negative Battery cable must be firmly grounded to engine (primarily for starter operation). A chassis ground goes between the frame (firewall) and the right rear corner intake manifold bolt. The chassis ground needs to be a good sized cable (pencil thickness) having good ground lugs attached at both ends. Allow sufficient length to accommodate engine motion. Other grounds occur through out your car. Places I can remember are headlamp grounds, attach near sides of radiator support bracket. Internal dash ground attach near the right hand instrument panel support bracket just inside the instrument panel cutout in the dash...directly above the ignition switch. In the rear there are grounds for the tail lamps. I can't remember exactly how these are attached but my recollection is they are just forward of the tail lights on the trunk floor. Also perhaps there is one in the center of the trunk near the fuel filler pipe. There are dome light grounds inside the interior fiberglas panels in the cargo area...for the little round interior lights there. The main thing is to make sure there are good grounds for every accessory or lamp. The size of the ground wire should equal the size of the wire that provides power to the accessory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.