Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have signed up for the forum, I thought I would post one question I can't seem to get answered. Is there a special type of tape that people use for wiring under the hood? I am using the old wires (heater motor, head lights, horns...etc.) Everything worked on my 67 fastback when i took it apart and the wires look like they are in good shape, not brital or cracked. So I removed all of the old black electrical tape and wiped them off and cleaned them with Prep all grease remover. My question is... do people just retape the wires with black electrical tape? Sure looks that way, as I believe what I removed was the stock wrapping. Or is there an actual product/tape I can't find?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I re-wrapped mine with black vinyl wrap..looks like electrical tape, but has no adhesive. I secured the ends with black fabric tape. Both of these items are sold by NPD and others

·
Registered
36 Posts
You DO-NOT want to use any kind of adhesive tape. The adhesive goo will ooze out and make a mess. Go with a rubber or silicone self-fusing electrical splicing tape. Kind of a pain to stretch and wrap but is great after you are done.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
You DO-NOT want to use any kind of adhesive tape. The adhesive goo will ooze out and make a mess. Go with a rubber or silicone self-fusing electrical splicing tape. Kind of a pain to stretch and wrap but is great after you are done.
Amen to that. If you've ever dealt with a harness that was wrapped with electrical tape, the first time it gets warm, as in the car was parked in the sunlight, you'll have the worst sticky mess you can imagine. That glue gets all over the place.

I used a roll of wiring harness tape from Glazier/Nolan to re-wrap a 68 under-dash harness. Came out looking like factory new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts