Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a 302 from a early 80's mustang from this guy for 100 bucks. He said it had run but had been sitting for a year or so. I bought it hoping for the best that i might throw it in my 66 so i could finish my V8 conversion and then go back later had have it rebuilt.

I knew in the back of my mind that the potential was there that the engione could be shot and i was simply suckered in by a low price. I figured well hey if nothing else i can use it as a core or the base for a rebuild or somthing. So anyway I finally got around to pulling off the pan to have a look at the bearings and what do I find but a spun bearing.....which by look of the crank had done some serious damage. I guess i prolly should have known better than to buy a engine for a hundred bucks and expect to be able to run it.... (sigh)

So VMFr's what should i do, should i pull it all apart and see if its possible to patch it back together to run for a while. When i say run it doesnt really mean run much, prolly just to have a complete engine so i can finish the rest of the drivetrain for my V8 conversion and then rebuilt it once i know i have a solid car to drop it into. It would not be having many miles put on it during this time.

Or do i start over completely and buy a new engine/ or have the whole thing rebuilt. Keep in mind tha as a college student finances are limited and building up a really, really nice engine with no drivetrain for it to turn would really suck.

So any opinions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all
Ryan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It really depends on what you want from your motor. It also depends on how much of the rest of internals are good. If you just want a motor to make you car run and any motor will do, then you might be better off having this one rebuilt.

But if your looking to have a hotrod, then for the money it's hard to beat a Ford Crate motor. Often it is cheaper to buy a crate motor than to build or rebuild one yourself.

Shop around and look at the crate motors. Talk to a machine shop. Decide what your long term goals are and then pick your route.

Good luck,

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you dont want it, ill take it off your hands :) i want a 5.0 for my 2.3 stang i got right now. anyways, figure out what you want first. if it was me, id build what i want before i put it in the car, no point in taking the time to put it in and stuff to only pull it out and start over again b/c its not what you want.... .02 serious if you dont want the block and all the stuff ill take it off your hands possibly...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I talked to a machine shop today and im gonna pull the whole thing apart and have them take a look at it and we will discuss options....might just need some new rods and might be able to have the crank turned....its unknowned until i can pull it apart and look at the engine as a whole...off to pull the heads

Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts