Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago had the car running and turned off the key to call it a day. Key came out... engine kept running. Bit surprising but pulled the fuse i have in engine and called it a day. After that was fine. Today start it, turn off the key and same thing... engine kept running so had to pull fuse. Started to look into it more, every looked fine. Started again, key off, engine kept running. This time pull fuse and engine is dead but the starter keeps trying to crank. Now i had a mini panic attack. That one freaked me out. Disconnected battery which killed the starter. What are your thoughts? First I was thinking the Ignition Switch Assembly for the initial issue with engine running without key inserted, but the starter that going has me puzzled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where did you get it when you replaced it? I have heard that you should look for a ford solenoid. The Chinese ones from auto-parts stores are prone to failure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had same issue with a box store solenoid. Definitely go with FOMOCO/Motorcraft. The one you linked, I would confirm it is a Ford product. It says Ford licensed...makes me question it. I purchased a Motorcraft from Oreilly's...they got it in within a day.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I also bought the Motorcraft Solenoid from Oreilly and found this. Despite where it was manufactured, it has operated flawlessly since I installed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also bought the Motorcraft Solenoid from Oreilly and found this. Despite where it was manufactured, it has operated flawlessly since I installed it.
I have an Oreilly's right across the street from me... they have in stock the same Motocraft SW7663. Cant hurt to give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Motocraft, aftermarket...they are all junk and fail constantly...just one of those parts you always keep an extra in your glovebox. I lost count of the times I had to replace them. Motocraft does last longer...but don't expect miracles from a badly designed you could get a starter with the solenoid on it...I never tried that, but that is what I would do now(if they even make a starter that fits that has an integral solenoid)

·
Premium Member
12,039 Posts
It seems to me that if the solenoid was stuck in the closed position providing 12V to the coil through the Pink Wire bypass then the starter would also be engaged and running continuously, no?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I thought that little box on the apron was a relay and the solenoid was built into the starter. Isn't a solenoid kinda a linear electric motor designed to engage the starter gear to the flexplate/flywheel gear? Dave R.

·
Premium Member
12,039 Posts
I thought that little box on the apron was a relay and the solenoid was built into the starter. Isn't a solenoid kinda a linear electric motor designed to engage the starter gear to the flexplate/flywheel gear? Dave R.

You are technically correct. But if you go to the parts store and ask for a starter relay they look for a small electrical device that plugs into the fuse/power distribution box. Perhaps the Ford fender mounted relay is called a solenoid because it moves a plunger that physically connects the 2 large terminals.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Motocraft, aftermarket...they are all junk and fail constantly...just one of those parts you always keep an extra in your glovebox. I lost count of the times I had to replace them. Motocraft does last longer...but don't expect miracles from a badly designed you could get a starter with the solenoid on it...I never tried that, but that is what I would do now(if they even make a starter that fits that has an integral solenoid)
On the contrary, the Standard Products solenoid SS-581, has a three year warranty and IMHO is a superior product to the Autolite or Motorcraft solenoid. I replaced the solenoid on my 64 1/2 D Code shortly after buying the car in 2003 with a Standard brand Solenoid and it's still going strong. It seems to me that Ford came up with that design to keep heat from the exhaust away from the solenoid. IIRC, I've replaced starters on the Pontiacs I owned more often than replacing Solenoids on older Fords that I've owned. I know I've replaced solenoids in the past that there was nothing wrong with because they were a cheap and easy fix when trouble shooting, only to find out that it was the battery, a bad ground or something else that was the fault. A bad ignition switch could be the culprit as well if there is an internal short in the switch that prevents the key from turning off the engine.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I'm using the original solenoid that the car was delivered with 52 years ago, and it still works fine. If it's possible, check some old wrecking yards - if you find an old original solenoid, grab it and consider using it instead of a new possibly unreliable one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed new solenoid... started up no issues and turned off no issues. Only had time for one test run but fingers crossed issue is in the past.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts