Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally am at the stage where I need to turn the engine over to find TDC, so I can set my timing. My plan was just to kick it over with the starter, so I turned it on and the dash lights came on as did the courtesy lights, but the starter won't turn over. Then just for the heck of it I turned on my windshield wiper, because SWMBO said, "I don't think you have any power, your batteries dead." Well to prove her wrong I turned on the wiper, it worked but it would not turn off, if I shut the ignition of it went off, but as soon as I turned the ignition back on the wipers would continue to work. The only way I can get the wipers to go off is to unplug the motor then plug it back in. Then the wipers don't work until I tun the switch etc. Also my right brake light is on continuously. If I turn on the turn signal the light goes off, but I hear the flasher blinking, but the turn signal isn't flashing on the back of the car. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO! Any suggestions on why this might ber happening? One last thing I have a remote starter button thingy, once I get the starter to work how do I hook that up so I can turn it over from under the hood. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You can turn the engine over by hand to static time it.....that's how I've always done it....

Shorting between the starter solenoid battery post and adjacent post will engage the starter; you can do this with a remote starter unit connected up or just with a carefully placed screwdriver (that's how I do it)

As to your other problems....hmmm

Only question I can ask is did the stuff work OK in the past and what the heck did you do?? *G*

Maybe Midlife can help out...too hot here today for my brain to figure it out...*G*

G

·
0 Posts
The thing that got me was the Neutral Saftey switch. If you don't have that hooked up right ( In a automatic) then it won't start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts