Vintage Mustang Forums banner


922 3
Picked up a 65 Mustang parts car with what I think is 302
motor. The only numbers I can find on the block are just above the oil pan on the
bottom right side at the back: 27 E7TE CA S
Can anyone tell me what motor this is? I did see the letters
XX cast in the lifter valley. Thanks,CDC
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

8,058 Posts
Looks (from the numbers provided) to be a 87-8 five liter. E7 would decode to 87

Sorry don't have any books to decode (exactly) something that new

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

22,416 Posts
Looks like it may be a '87 roller cam block! If it came out of a Mustang, it'll have fordged pistons and a decent street cam. If it's not a Mustang, It'll have flat top cast pistons with no valve reliefs and a really mild cam, it'll still be a roller block though if it has a flat tappet cam. I'm not exactly sure when they switch to roller cams on everything. Not all roller cams are the same. If you want to use it, ( not a bad idea ) you'll have to do something about the different engine balance. Either get the conversion damper and flywheel, or use a earlier 28.8 oz. 302 crank and have the ring ground off the rear main journal. Good luck.

You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.