·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi Again,

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
WHAT SHOULD I CHECK?
MY DASH TOTALLY STOPPED WORKING!

I just finished installing the rebuilt motor and clutch. Today, I finally mocked up the exhaust pipes...soon to be welded.
After getting the pipes bolted up and supported on my ******* jack stands(bricks:no:)... I turn the engine over. It starts:paranoid:,and runs, :biggrin:but :jawdrop:nothing:jawdrop: on the dash works!:wall: It either has a bad ground, or there simply isn't any power getting to the entire unit. Ive started the engine atleast 5 6 times last weekend...all the gauges where working fine. All of a sudden they just got knocked out :naive: .

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
WHAT SHOULD I CHECK?

After 3 weekends of torture I just wanna get this thing on the road already. :rofl:

Here some pics of the install

67 mustang coupe
289 rebuilt
mild .496" lift cam
roller rockers with welded guides
450 cfm eldelbrok carb
Flowmaster 40 exhaust :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/258/dscf21474ht.jpg
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/6660/dscf21485qr.jpg

:jawdrop:Here an old pic, when I first got the car:jawdrop:

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8255/dscf13678wi.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks great.

How long did it take you to clean and repaint the engine bay? what method did you use?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Great improvement! Enjoy the car next summer, you can be pround now when you pop the hood at cruise-ins!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VERY TRUE ::
But back to the problem please guys!!! lol :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repaint the bay..... ehhhh .... 1 day

4 cans of gloss black enanmel spray paint

It was much easier to get into the tight places with the engine removed. I was able to stand inside the bay to....scrape....sand....and repaint.

I gave it about 3 to 4 coats of gloss black paint.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sounds like a constant voltage regulator to me. God what a pain in the arse those things are. Its a little box located on the back of the instrument cluster. When that goes you wont have power to the gauges. Check your grounds as well though as one couldve goten loose. Do a search on CVR issues and you will get a bunch to pop up. Test for continuity between the two posts to tell if its good or bad. If you get no continuity pry up the tabs and pull out the board. Chances are it will be burned out inside (the copper strands will have broken and look charred in a certain spot).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks good. If that hose is your fuel line to your carb I would mock up some 5/16 metal line to help connect the pump and carb. That much rubber hose with fuel is asking for trouble. And this is coming from a guy who ran one cause thats the way it was when I bought it. Local track denied me for having more than 8 inches of rubber fuel line.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Check your grounds, make sure they are all good and clean and tight. The should have three:
1- one from the battery negative to the engine.
2- one from the battery negative to the chassis.
3- one from the engine block to the chassis.

Check the connections from the alternator, make sure all the connections are plugged in good and tight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip!

Im thinking it's more of a ground issue because it still pops on once in a while for a couple seconds.... then goes dead again. :(

I have this ground coming off the back on my block that connects to the body... I havent gotten around to firmly connecting it yet. could this be the problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts