Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding Prius EPAS....I have one burning question that I lost sleep over last night. My plan was to follow "Waid's" method and attach my upper Mustang cut down shaft to the Prius upper shaft (press fit and pin/weld). But I was thinking what would prevent the steering wheel from pulling out, shaft and all (as the Prius shafts are a collapsible spline)? The Prius shaft had a bearing and C-clip before in a since removed outer shaft to hold it together. I know the Mustang collar attaches with a couple T-bolts to the column, but that is weak and I am not really sure how the T-nut actually holds anything??

Here are some pics I stole from the web and other old posts. I am thinking I might need to cut away some of the 1.5" Prius tube (circled in blue) and then weld/pin the Prius upper and lower shafts together?? What am I missing?

T-Nut.jpg

Prius weld to Mustang.jpg

Prius upper shaft body.JPG

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Once the Prius/mustang shaft is welded together, the shaft on the mustang portion is held in place to the outer column and collar by 2 snap rings, the bearing, a retaining plate and the t-bolts. The outer column is held in place by the bracket that attaches the column to the dash. I know on my Prius conversion, there is absolutely no upper shaft movement fore or aft. The collapsible feature still exists, but on the output side of the unit with DD shaft and sleeve.

If you want extra protection, you could also tap a small screw, or two, through the mounting bracket to the outer column, being sure not to hit the Prius unit.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the Prius/mustang shaft is welded together, the shaft on the mustang portion is held in place to the outer column and collar by 2 snap rings, the bearing, a retaining plate and the t-bolts. The outer column is held in place by the bracket that attaches the column to the dash. I know on my Prius conversion, there is absolutely no upper shaft movement fore or aft. The collapsible feature still exists, but on the output side of the unit with DD shaft and sleeve.

If you want extra protection, you could also tap a small screw, or two, through the mounting bracket to the outer column, being sure not to hit the Prius unit.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 66 and there are no snap rings at least that I am aware of. As it was a solid "spear" column, there was nothing additional needed as the shaft went direct to the steering box. There is a bearing and wedge to center the shaft in the collar but my concern is on the original spear cars, the only thing holding the new Prius/Mustang shafts together are the T-bolts (and this looks really weak to me as it is non structural)

I will end up either welding the Mustang/Prius shafts or some other means. This more of a watch out for anyone who did this mod or plans to do so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 66 and there are no snap rings at least that I am aware of. As it was a solid "spear" column, there was nothing additional needed as the shaft went direct to the steering box. There is a bearing and wedge to center the shaft in the collar but my concern is on the original spear cars, the only thing holding the new Prius/Mustang shafts together are the T-bolts (and this looks really weak to me as it is non structural)

I will end up either welding the Mustang/Prius shafts or some other means. This more of a watch out for anyone who did this mod or plans to do so.
Hi Tallguy,
I have been getting all the parts I will need to do the epas conversion on my 66 vert and found your posts. I and was wondering what you did as far as your concern of the steering wheel pulling out?
Not sure how I am going to connect output to my long shaft yet. I would like to figure out how to do it without pulling the steering box. Thinking about hand filing a double D on the shaft after I cut it. To far along with the car to do any welding under the dash and getting to damn old to be pulling the box and shaft.

Thanks for all the info you shared on your conversion. yarb

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tallguy,
I have been getting all the parts I will need to do the epas conversion on my 66 vert and found your posts. I and was wondering what you did as far as your concern of the steering wheel pulling out?
Not sure how I am going to connect output to my long shaft yet. I would like to figure out how to do it without pulling the steering box. Thinking about hand filing a double D on the shaft after I cut it. To far along with the car to do any welding under the dash and getting to damn old to be pulling the box and shaft.

Thanks for all the info you shared on your conversion. yarb
Happy to help any way I can. My EPAS install was a fun project but really turned into a very custom set-up that took some from others installs and a lot from my own design. I did not re-use the original solid shaft steering box. I installed a box from a 68 that originally used a rag joint. I used a steering coupling to go from the box spline to 1" DD and then another under the dash to go from 3/4 DD to the Prius spline. The 1" to 3/4" DD was a telescoping shaft. From the Prius to steering wheel, I cut down the Prius telescoping shaft to fit the 3/4" Mustang shaft (I bought a new shaft to not destroy my original steering box). Then shimmed it to get it perfectly straight, pinned and then welded the Mustang shaft to the Prius shaft. The issue with steering wheel pullout is that the Prius shafts are telescoping which I did not need, so once I got the wheel height set just right, I drilled an roll pinned the two Prius shafts to make it permanent. I chose not to weld as this is connected to the motor/electronics and I did not want to risk damage.

zEPAS1.JPG

The round parts are shims to get it centered. They are actually shims I sacrificed from a shim set and hammered them it to shape them. Then before pinning/welded hammered them in flush, pinned, welded

zEPAS2.JPG

This is before I pinned the custom shaft (lower Prius, upper Mustang) to the Prius unit

zEPAS3.JPG

zEPAS4.JPG

zEPAS5.JPG

·
Registered
236 Posts
You do execelant work !! I like the way you modified the pedal support and put the motor at the 9 oclock position. I am not sure if I am able to remove my pedal support but may go for it. (My back is in bad shape.)
Thanks for all the photos, I believe I will use your method of using the roll pin to secure the upper shaft. I may also see if I cah locate a rag joint box also. I would like to keep every thing I pull off in the event my son or grandson wants to put everything back the way it came from the manufacture after my days are over.

Thanks again, yarb

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do execelant work !! I like the way you modified the pedal support and put the motor at the 9 oclock position. I am not sure if I am able to remove my pedal support but may go for it. (My back is in bad shape.)
Thanks for all the photos, I believe I will use your method of using the roll pin to secure the upper shaft. I may also see if I cah locate a rag joint box also. I would like to keep every thing I pull off in the event my son or grandson wants to put everything back the way it came from the manufacture after my days are over.

Thanks again, yarb

Thanks for the props! I have enjoyed the custom mods as much or more than the restoration. Our cars look very similar from the factory, mine is a 66 vert that was Brittany Blue originally. That was a 67 color that made it onto some late 66 cars. If you want any other pictures, PM me with an e-mail and I can send full res. I have LOTS of photos (9,957 of the total restoration so far to be exact!).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Regarding Prius EPAS....I have one burning question that I lost sleep over last night. My plan was to follow "Waid's" method and attach my upper Mustang cut down shaft to the Prius upper shaft (press fit and pin/weld). But I was thinking what would prevent the steering wheel from pulling out, shaft and all (as the Prius shafts are a collapsible spline)? The Prius shaft had a bearing and C-clip before in a since removed outer shaft to hold it together. I know the Mustang collar attaches with a couple T-bolts to the column, but that is weak and I am not really sure how the T-nut actually holds anything??

Here are some pics I stole from the web and other old posts. I am thinking I might need to cut away some of the 1.5" Prius tube (circled in blue) and then weld/pin the Prius upper and lower shafts together?? What am I missing?

View attachment 601625

View attachment 601633

View attachment 601641
Hi Tall Guy,
I cut that tube you have circled in blue shorter so I could pin the two splined parts.
IMG_4563.JPG

View attachment 601625

View attachment 601633

View attachment 601641
Hi Tall Guy,
I cut that tube you circled in blue shorter so I could pin the two splined part together then joined the mustang shaft. See the attached image.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cut that tube you circled in blue shorter so I could pin the two splined part together then joined the mustang shaft. See the attached image.
Good idea. I needed the outer Prius shaft as support for the steering column tube. What I did is drill a hole in the Prius outer tube and drove the roll pin in through that. Neat to see how everyone does it a little different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts