Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just completed a couple of modifications to my 66 FB. I replaced the stock bulbs with LEDs in the instrument cluster and added kick panel speakers. I'm pretty happy with the LED lights because I could now see the instrument cluster "when" I drive my car at night. The kick panel speakers sound great but given my car is manual it may take some time to get used to.

I recently ordered the EPAS steering kit from CJ Pony parts. I went with the kit for simplicity but now I'm a little wondering if I should even install the kit. Has anyone here installed this kit in their car. If so, what type of issues did you run into during install? Have you experienced any issues after the install? What is the drive-ability like after the install and how much feedback did you loose or gain? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Just some guy
20,217 Posts
It seems most folks here so far have balked at paying @$1300 for a kit when they can install the DIY version for $200. I don't know of anyone who's used that kit yet. Maybe someone will chime in though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh boy, this is gonna be fun.

It seems most folks here so far have balked at paying @$1300 for a kit when they can install the DIY version for $200. I don't know of anyone who's used that kit yet. Maybe someone will chime in though.
Unfortunately, I didn't know any better and purchased the kit. If I could find the new DIY parts list then I just may do that route and return what I bought.

I'm waiting for the perfect EPAS to come out. It's not here yet...
hmm, what about good enough?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Oh boy, this is gonna be fun.

Unfortunately, I didn't know any better and purchased the kit. If I could find the new DIY parts list then I just may do that route and return what I bought.

hmm, what about good enough?
Until there is something better, the stock steering is good enough.

·
Registered
671 Posts
good enough is perfect for me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I just completed a couple of modifications to my 66 FB. I replaced the stock bulbs with LEDs in the instrument cluster and added kick panel speakers. I'm pretty happy with the LED lights because I could now see the instrument cluster "when" I drive my car at night. The kick panel speakers sound great but given my car is manual it may take some time to get used to.

I recently ordered the EPAS steering kit from CJ Pony parts. I went with the kit for simplicity but now I'm a little wondering if I should even install the kit. Has anyone here installed this kit in their car. If so, what type of issues did you run into during install? Have you experienced any issues after the install? What is the drive-ability like after the install and how much feedback did you loose or gain? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Well I'm in the process of installing my epas (kit) in my 66 coupe. My only issue now is where to clock the motor. Seems like interference everywhere. I tried the 11 o'clock position but hits the fresh air vent . Some ideas might help. Trying the 3 o'clock and not working either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am doing this on a 65 coupe and i have the car on a rotisserie. I clocked the motor at 3 o’clock since i wanted to keep the fresh air vent. I notched the pedal box to allow the 3 o’clock position. I will post a few pictures

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the same kit you bought from CJPP On my 69 Boss. It is a PITA for sure. The biggest issue I ran into was the lack of Instructions. For the price you should get detailed instructions. Contacted the manufacturer and they said “thanks for the heads up” seriously... hopefully they updated them by now.
Anyway, it’s not a straight forward install. Bought a used steering column to cut up from eBay. My original safely stored. Instructions were not clear on measurements to cut so had to measure myself. Had to bend an underdash brace to clock the motor so I wouldn’t see it. Quality of the parts were good I feel. I like the adjustment knob so you can go as light or as heavy as you want. Installed it out of the way. Wires are a little short and small gauge so soldering was a pain. Took me a few days but I took my time and made sure not to damage or modify any original parts. If I did it again I would remove the drivers seat for better access. Maybe hood also to install the knuckle easier. Have pics if your interested.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My Prius EPAS is clocked at 11 o'clock on my '66. I cut a lot out of the fresh air vent and made significant modifications to the brake bridge.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
On my 67 Im installing a Open Tracker roller idler. If that isnt enough Im going for a JY EAPS.

The roller idler is on my workbench, Im going to install it as soon as Im through sanding, sanding and more sanding under the hood.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Fastback, in your pic why are the stems different lengths?

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
On my 67 Im installing a Open Tracker roller idler. If that isnt enough Im going for a JY EAPS.

The roller idler is on my workbench, Im going to install it as soon as Im through sanding, sanding and more sanding under the hood.
I sanded and painted the underside of my trunk lid yesterday so I can relate to a lot of sanding. I'm not looking forward to sanding the backside of the hood.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve done both the junkyard version and the kit. Both require fabrication, the kit requires a bit less. The main issue I’ve run into with the kit is lack of bracing. The steering wheel feels “loose” in the column and they need to do a little bit more engineering to get that motor secured under there. I highly recommend a 68 mount if you can, otherwise some sort of extra bracing would add to a firmer feel.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They are the same length. One has the tapered cone and the other 2 does not.
I made a jig to ensure and speed up the fab process.
View attachment 751618 View attachment 751619 View attachment 751620

I finished my EPAS a couple of weeks ago. Parking with one finger is really nice. It is very smooth but there is NO return to center. When you turn a corner you have to un-turn it. When driving straight there is no free play but it does track good. I have only driven it a couple of time but it does not drive like a mustang anymore. Not to happy about that.
So I spent the day on my lathe making couplings, I am seriously thinking about returning it back to normal.I am going to drive it a few more times to see if I can get comfortable with it. If not,
I will have the complete system up for sale if anyone is interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts