Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
A long time ago a friend of mine had a basic 1000cc Mini. He had done some performance, suspension and brake upgrades to it. It was not the fastest car in the world, but on a twisty country road, you would be hard pushed to keep up with it. My friend drove like a lunatic and the mini went around tight bends like it was on railway tracks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
An old Colin Chapman quote: “Adding power makes you faster on the straights; subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”.

I'm sure low weight are the biggest trick with the Mini. Because it got tiny wheels and brakes, a simple suspension designed in the 50s (that includes a strut arm on the LCA) and 60% weight on the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Cool video, proves you don't need a ton of power to have a "fast" fun car.
I did some cone solo racing in an older Mazda Miata several years ago and had a BLAST for very low cost. My car friends still tease me saying it was a "chick" car....maybe it was but they don't realize how fun a little, light, low to the ground car can be 😁

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
Cool video. Fun to see two different philosophies match up so well.

That was a tiny little circuit though. (+/- 1:10 lap times) Most tracks would have some more straights to let the Mustang stretch it’s legs and it wouldn’t be much of a race between the two.

Still, Minis are cool in race trim.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cool video. Fun to see two different philosophies match up so well.

That was a tiny little circuit though. (+/- 1:10 lap times) Most tracks would have some more straights to let the Mustang stretch it’s legs and it wouldn’t be much of a race between the two.

Still, Minis are cool in race trim.
Yes, the Mustang looked a bit confined there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What strikes me is that the mustang is a small "pony" car, and it is, but it looks positively HUGE running with the mini... I guess I have never actually been next to a real mini, but dang that thing is tiny! Makes me wonder if my 260lb body would cause the mini to tip over or just give up or something. I have a hard enough time fitting in my 68.
I can imagine a mini running with a large muscle car like Challenger or something.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I had my Mustang parked in the driveway the other day and walked up behind it and thought "dang that's a small car". It certainly is small, but not mini. :)

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
Here the other video 66conv6 mentioned. Different bigger track, but similar result.

LOVE this! I swear, I could watch that kind of racing all day.

They were moving for sure. I don't have much in the way of data, but I did time their last lap, and they were running quite close to what the Miata race cars run on that (Brabham) circuit at Sydney. Or to put it another way, they're about 20 seconds slower than a Porsche GT3 RS, lol.

I also like it that the two frontrunners were both in USA racing colors. :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Im guessing the Mustang didnt have the right gearing for that type of course.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
What strikes me is that the mustang is a small "pony" car, and it is, but it looks positively HUGE running with the mini..
I thought exactly the same. The Mustang looked massive. I own an '06 Cooper S JCW and it's about 3' shorter than my '65, that original Mini looked about half.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That's freakin cool! From the title I was expecting to see the two blue ones. Nothing much better than old school side exhaust popping flames. Those minis sure do bounce around a lot. For some reason this reminds me of Tom and Jerry.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Brings back memories. When I was in high school I had a summer job at a local gas station. Our mechanic had a mid '60's Mini with a heavily modified 1275 engine with a pair of Weber side draft carbs that he open tracked. His exhaust was a straight pipe out the back with a megaphone tip and he ran a soy bean racing oil (Castrol?) in it. That thing was massively fast and handled like a cockroach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts