Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to remove ALL paint before I spray epoxy primer? What about E-coat, do I need to remove it?

The only experience I have had with epoxy is paints in the hobby industry. If there was any paint on parts other than epoxy it usually lifted.

I put on a repop lower quarter, want to remove paint to bare metal where possible, (but not on the new quarter) then epoxy prime then body work, etc. Just don't know if the existing paint, i.e. in the trunk lip where its hard to remove will lift.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
So long as the original paint has a good bond and you rough it up with some 80 grit and clean it well, you should have no problems covering with epoxy primer.

BTW, the purpose of epoxy primer is to seal the surface bellow to prevent moisture penetration from the outside and to act as a barrier against contaminant & molecular migration from the subsurface. Which means it's idealy suited to your intended use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.