Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted an ad (and I don't want anyone to think this is a sly one), but my car is for sale. I got an e-mail today, with someone wanting to trade. I'm asking $4500 for my car, so let's just go with that as the value. The person e-mailing me offered to trade me a low miles, good condition 84 1/2 20th Anniversary fox body. 5.0, 5-spd, Flowmaster, hatchback, good condition overall.

The main reason I'm getting rid of the '70 is because my parents say that now that I'm going to college, I need a more reliable car. And don't try to argue me out of it, there are a bunch of reasons I won't go into.

My main question is, would this car be worth $4500? I know the prices of fox bodies are rising, and considering that there were only like 5600 20th Anniversary Mustangs made would help. But I am unsure as to what prices they actually are bringing, and this one should get.

I have yet to see pictures or get a detailed description, but let's assume it has nice paint and interior, and a good engine. Does it sound like a good deal to you guys?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Is this the type of car you want to go away to college in?? Will the gas costs with a 5.0 be an issue? How many miles on the fox?? From looking at your pics it seems that your car is worth a little more than that, but I can't check for rust issues in your pics. If the car is clean, looks good and is mechanically sound the price seems abotu right.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have to chuckle at this post, because I've had this EXACT conversation with my son. I will explain it to you, like I explained it to him, as he was getting ready to make almost the EXACT same deal:

So, let's see. You want to get rid of your classic Mustang for a more reliable car. A 20 year old fox body is NOT a reliable car. Now let's look at the Blue Book value of this Fox Body. Assumming it's a GT, got ALL the bells and whistles, is in EXCELLENT shape (pretty much show room condition) and only has 60k miles (highly unlikely), it has a blue book value of $1,885. So you're going to trade your car, for one with less than half the value, that you can't work on as easily, doesn't get any better gas mileage, and is a cop magnet.

Still sound like a good deal? ;)

If you want reliable, get a Honda or a Toyota. Don't jump from the frying pan into the fire.

BTW ... the car that my son was going to do this deal with 6 months ago, has since had the tranny replaced and is now getting ready to have the motor replaced ;)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Now let's look at the Blue Book value of this Fox Body. Assumming it's a GT, got ALL the bells and whistles, is in EXCELLENT shape (pretty much show room condition) and only has 60k miles (highly unlikely), it has a blue book value of $1,885.
Link? Not trying to argue, but NADA (which I usually find to be more accurate than kbb.com) lists the low book for an '84 LX at $2275 and the high book at $6125. GT-350 20th anniversary should be worth more. Cheers

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
http://www.kbb.com

You'll have to fill out the info yourself, though, as kbb.com won't allow you to link to a pricing report.

Even at the NADA low blue book of $2275, it's not far off from the Kelley Blue Book value. High Book value is what you'd expect to pay from a dealer, not a private party. I don't think I've ever paid over low book value for a car in my life. I've always found NADA to be extremely "optimistic" values. ;)

I would agree that the 20th anniversary edition would bring the value up slightly, but not enough to make it even CLOSE to a fair trade, and it does nothing as far as making a 20 year old car more reliable.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
There sure is a large disparity between kbb.com and nada. However, around here, it's pretty hard to find a running car for $1500, let alone a decent fox body. So, IMHO kbb is wrong on this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts