Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I'm relatively relaxed to be lower middle class. Don't have a lot of anything that someone will be after! On the other hand in this computer age if a hacker accesses info (soc sec etc) from millions of people's accounts a little bit from each adds up to big money!!

We're thankful for our life in our great State in our great Country.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We've had our data used 4 times in 5 years it's no fun we now have a permanent lock on all 3 credit bureaus. I did this yesterday go to this website and enter your data you will be notified if yours was one of them.

www.equifaxsecurity2017.com

Bob

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They just announced the top exec's sold 20 million shares of their stocks 1 day before they announced it to the public.

I'd advise everyone to go to any of the 3 bureaus to put a 90 day fraud alert on, you only need to do it with 1 company they then notify the other 2.

Bob

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I use Experian for my credit status. NOT Equifax

Any concerns ya think?
Yes, because those three blood suckers get information from so many sources that you can't be 100% sure if one or all three have that information. I'd still check and like others we are putting a permanent freeze on our credit.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Yes, because those three blood suckers get information from so many sources that you can't be 100% sure if one or all three have that information. I'd still check and like others we are putting a permanent freeze on our credit.
That being said, (and not disagreeing) why then doesn't news story say "whole country affected"?
How much personnel info is really shared between each?
Why isn't ALL affected publically?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
But, then again, maybe you DON'T want to do that. See this story
Thanks I just read thru it glad I didn't finish the 3rd step which would have bound me to that clause. My wife still would be eligible I didn't register here.

The 1st 2 steps only asks them to notify you if your data was breached.

Yes everyone should start a fraud alert.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That being said, (and not disagreeing) why then doesn't news story say "whole country affected"?
How much personnel info is really shared between each?
Why isn't ALL affected publically?
I don't know why, but 143 million people is nothing to sneeze at.

From the research I've done each agency gets their information from the places you do business with such as utility companies, insurance companies you have, places of business when getting hired or security clearances, medical, cell phone, cable, gas/store/credit cars, etc. Depending on where the HQ is located for a particular billing place perhaps will determine which agency has what about you. That's why it is important to check all three to make sure what they have is correct, and if not correct it. You would be surprised to find all the things wrong that each agency has about you and is reporting you on it for good or bad.

Why isn't ALL affected is most likely that no one credit reporting agency gets all the same stuff from the same source as in #2 above.

Wouldn't it be better to check the others to make sure the information that they have on you is correct even if you don't think you use them? You get 1 free credit report from each of the three reporting agencies each calendar year. The best way to keep up on things for an entire year is get a free one every 4 months.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The MIB Medical Information Bureau has been collecting data since the late 70's it's being shared with all bureaus nothing is private anymore the push for electronic records just made it easier to capture all that data.

When you do a 3 bureau credit report with fico score thru any of the agencies they collect all that data & combine it in their database they don't delete anything ever.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore.

B

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use Experian for my credit status. NOT Equifax

Any concerns ya think?
That may be who you use to view your credit, but that may not be who you're getting credit from uses. They could very well use Equifax to pull your credit report. Mortgage companies will pull from one, two or all three bureaus in a combined report.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
The hackers got credit card information for a lot of people. Two weeks ago I got a fraud alert for a credit card I haven't used in three years. I was wondering where the perpetrator got the information. This may explain it.

Yeah, it's now coming out that if you agree to sign up for the Equifax offer of credit monitoring, you are signing away your right to participate in any class action lawsuits.

Anyone with any kind of credit at all will have information records with all credit bureaus. So, unless you're completely off the grid, all credit bureaus have your information.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just freeze your credit and depending on the state you live in it could be free or $5 or $7:50 for each one. The only time it is a pain is if you are constantly buying new cars or opening new credit accounts all the time. Now, nothing can be opened with any of my data unless I say so, and the best part, it screws the credit reporting agencies since now they can't share or sell your data.

Another thing to help you stay safe is to protect that 3-digit code on the back of your debit or credit cards. I just put a small square piece of blue painters tape over it. No one needs to see it as it for your use only when buying something on-line or over the phone. It doesn't interfere with putting the card in the chip reader as I been using it that way for over a year.

That is how people can get some of your info so fast. Always keep your card in your possession, and never let it out of your sight. It is the wonderful age we now live in, the Age of Hackers, and we have to do out due diligence to try to protect ourselves.

Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Maybe they were never even hacked. Maybe it was just a ploy for the executives to cash in. OH wait that never happens.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Several friends and relative had their info compromised at Equifax. Then they (Equifax) have the guts to say they'll give you temporary free protection! I was under the notion the 3 credit bureaus were guarding the info that they gathered so you could be confident/trust them with this info. Now if you pay them they will guard it!!!

Oh and by the way at least one top Equifax executive sold a bunch of his Equifax stock before public announcement of the breech! AFAIK this is a tad illegal!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
What really sucks about this whole deal is that going forward I see 2 choices to feel good about the safety of your personal information: 1) Freeze credit or 2) Pay for credit protection for the rest of your life because your personal information is permanently out there.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I froze my credit with Equifax and within 2 or 3 days I was notified by mail from the other two bloodsuckers that they had also frozen my account. I don't plan on buying anything in the the next three to six months so I won't have to remove the freeze. I used to have Lifelock and found out that I can do almost the same thing that they do, for free. So I dropped them. A couple of years ago, I had a CC get hacked and Lifelock wasn't aware of it until I called them about it. So don't believe all the commercials about Lifelock having your back, it just isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Funny you mention lifelock, I was checking out their website. Next day when I turned on my laptop in the upper right hand corner was a message requesting me to call an 800#. I've never seen a message like that. Googled the # and it was lifelock. They get your info and track you with everything you do!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts