Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Peavey tube amp, specifically a Peavey Heritage VTX Series Tube AMP (100 watt model). Anyone familiar with this amp? I'm currently playing through either a Fender Frontman 25 (75 watt), a Crate GX 212 (100 also, I think) or a Line-6 Spider III. I really like my Fender but it's a single ten inch speaker and I've just about cooked my second speaker. I like the Spider III for recording but not much else. And the Crate is just good for LOUD but it's got footswitch circuitry issues that make it impractical for live shows.

The guy with the Peavey wants $225 for it. I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
dont know much about that amp other that what i searched for.

has some good write ups. havent seen any major negatives on it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/classic_vtx/index.html

IMO you cant go wrong with any peavey. Its just the price im not sure about. id think $150 range for this one unless its super duper clean then maybe $200

but honestly of you really want it and like it i wouldnt let it go over a $50 haggle.

I made too many mistakes that way and then to try and find another.

I have a C30 that i bought new 2 years ago and a late 80s 75 watt Bandit that i bought last year for $125. she is clean as a whistle. has a nice clean channel and it loud enough for bar gigs. both are built like tanks.

BTW the crate GX series is real nice too.

prob is with any of these is if it breaks the tech fees will be more than theyre worth.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Peavy is good stuff. Only way to know if it works for you is to plug in and give it a run-thru with how you plan to use it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Blues, I've always liked my Crate. Lots of people look down their noses at them. And that's ok. But it's loud as hell and has enough power to add any effects that you might want. It's no Marshall but for the price..... The foot-switch issue though is a deal breaker. I replaced the push switch and there was visible damage to the original unit. And it seemed fixed. Then halfway through the first practice the issue returned. I tried several two-button foot-switches with the same result. It might or might not change channel when selected. Then I might change on its own with no pedal input. And as you observed, it would cost more to fix it than it's worth. And that's assuming that they got better results than I did.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I no nothing about that model. I kind of like the c30 by PV.
I just can't bring myself to buy the brand PV.
It was all I could afford when I was a kid. My friends, and I hated their sound back in the 80's.
We could not wait to get enough money saved up to buy a Marshall.
Now, I play through my Marshall, Mesa Boogie, P.R.S., or Vox amp.
I have owned several amps over the years. Now I am down to these 4 and I am happy. I kind of wish I didn't sell my Rivera era, hand wired, Fender princeton reverb, and my Mesa Boogie road king head.
Oh well. How many amps do you really need?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've always held Peavey and Crate to be amateur, low end equipment, and there's probably a reason I've never set a mic in front of a Crate or Peavey piece of gear on any national act I've mixed, save for the occassional 5150 which is a legitimately good head for rock and metal . But they've each got their gems. If you're doing bar gigs, knock yourself out! You won't be able to tell the difference between a $1000 amp set up and a $150 amp set up at that point, you just need the volume to be heard.

I'm personally a Marshall/Les Paul guy and run a DSL head with 1960A 4x12 cabinet that makes sure everybody knows you're there. Sounds incredible just a PITA to haul around, but it was all cased up when we used to gig. I also have a 100W Fender combo with tube preamp, kind of an obscure model, don't even remember what it is anymore because my brother's had that amp for a long time. It was a nice sounding amp too.

All that being said, the first amp I ever did own was a little teeny Peavey Rage 158 which was the baddest thing at the time!

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
Molly Hatchet and a lotta other bands used Peavey. I growd up in mississippi and peavey and fenders were all over the place. i never liked transistor peaveys but the VK-s and others with 6L6 tubes can sound similar to fenders and marshalls. Eddie Van Halen used the peavey 5150 amp.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"I've always held Peavey and Crate to be amateur, low end equipment..."

Thanks for stating the obvious. I've made it clear on here before, that "amateur" is exactly what I am. I play just well enough to be able to lend a supporting role to mediocre bands that get poor paying gigs in local dives. And I have a great time doing it. And, I have achieved "micro-celebrity status," in that I'm recognized at the grocery store sometimes. When I state that I play through a Crate I expect it to be clear that I'm not much good.

Regardless, I was going to look at the Peavey Thursday but was dreading the traffic on the way back, which would have been at the height of rush-hour. So I dragged the troublesome Crate out of the closet and using a bamboo skewer I pushed and probed the foot-switch (two button style switch) input jack tabs. Low and behold I got it to change channels. Then I inserted the plug to open the tabs in the input port and bent the rearmost tab down a bit and now it works like new! So me and my crappy amp are good to go!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think Peavey provides good value for the money, but I would consider spending a little more money if you can find a used Fender Blues Junior or Hot Rod series amp

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
i cant understand all the PV stereo typing. there's good and bad in all gear. Sure PV made some crap esp in the late 70s but they also have some great amps too.

I played marshalls that $cuked, les pauls you couldn't give me esp the new robot ones, and ohhh boy about the HRD's. been there done that., Jacks falling out. cold solders, verb cutting out.

i have a C-30 and about 5 other amps. is the C30 the best amp, prob not, does it sounds good, hell Yeah, can you beat it for $549 and still have it made in the USA. No way. no bleeping way.

most of the marshalls now are coming out of Vietnam. Id never buy one for that reason. id never buy a mexican fender nor anything out of the orient. and i dont care what it is. I just wont buy it for that reason.

The Upper PV line is still made here. and that matters to me.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
most of the marshalls now are coming out of Vietnam. Id never buy one for that reason. id never buy a mexican fender nor anything out of the orient. and i dont care what it is. I just wont buy it for that reason.

The Upper PV line is still made here. and that matters to me.
I also usually only buy USA or British amps.
That being said. So many amps are being made in Vietnam, China, Etc.
Even PV has changed. They have recently moved a few of their higher end model amps to over seas. The 6550 amp is no longer made here in the U.S..
I bet PV moves all production over seas in the next few years.
I remember when Crate was made in the USA. I don't think any crate model amps are made in the USA.
Fender moved a lot of things over seas and to Mexico.
It is hard to find an reasonably priced amp made in the USA.

It is not just cheap labor, and cheap taxes that move production out of our country. It is also the EPA and it's regulations. The EPA has chased a lot of production over seas.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
it really boggles my mind in that they can move where ever, build a high tech facility, fill containers and send it back here for
1/2 the cost of what it takes to make it here. something is wrong in this country.

im not saying anything made elsewhere is crap. its not. i actually played some great mexi strats and line 6 stuff. its just i would not buy one

but id would buy a MIJ vintage Ibanez artists series in a heart beat :)

Japan is Ok in my vintage book

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I bought a no-name Les Paul copy from Japan back in '81, $179 with hardshell case delivered. Every time I take it to a shop for an adjustment (because it has a tendency to not get played for months on end), the techs can't stop raving about how well that thing is made. When I tell them where/when/and how much I got for, they're shocked.
Granted, not everything from overseas is going to be good, and I prefer to buy American, but I was poor, it was cheap, and it worked out at the time.
And the Peavey Mark IV/3620 bass stack I was playing on back in the day was as good as they came. Bought that in '83. Sold it when I started college in '92 cuz I wasn't using it and didn't want to store it if I could get a few bucks to help with school expenses.
And I've seen quite a few Peavey's on stage with some name bands, so the pros do use them.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
yup Japan is def held to a high standard. in the 50's it was taboo kinda like what the mexi Korean and Nam stuff is today but their stuff is top notch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts