Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VMFrs,
You guys have helped me out immensely. Wanted to create a build forum and show you the progress as I go.

I decided on a restoration January 9, 2018 with a timeline to try and have it done before the Air Force sends me off to Greenland for a year without the Kar. I've been working overtime disassembling my kar. I don't need concours restoration show quality but I do want everything to look well taken care of and done right. As of right now the underside is a D+ and caked with undercoating but the interior is an A- and the exterior is a B+. Right now here is what I plan to accomplish:

1: Service the engine, inspect internal components, replace all gaskets, strip old paint and repaint using POR-15 42048 Ford Corporate Blue Engine Enamel
2: Swap transmission for an HEH-BX Mustang K-code vin stamped close-ratio toploader. Currently I have a HEH-BV vin stamped (although non-Mustang, I think its Comet) wide ratio toploader.
3: replace the emergency brake cables.
4: media blast underside of kar, replace floor pan and reapply even layer of undercoating
5: fix pinion seal leak. Purchase and install pinion snubber and bumper
6: replace leaf spring bushings
7: service suspension (install koni shocks front/rear, replace ball joints in upper control arms, replace lower ball joint dust seals, replace bushings on front end links)
8: wire-wheel nuts/bolts/clips etc...
9: install correct Shelby GT-350 tachometer for 1966
10: rebuild rear brake drums and restore emergency brake system.
11: rebuild Kelsey Hayes Proportioning Valve (sending to White Post Restorations)
12: rebuild original water pump
13: rebuild both carburetors (Autolite C6Z and Holley 715cfm. The Autolite is the spare since I'm running a GT-350 tribute)
14: Replace exhaust system with OEM like exhaust or convert to Tri-Y headers, H-pipe and Flowmaster or Magnaflow exhaust
15: Wildcard: Possibly change the color to my favorite paint: Sapphire Blue with Wimbledon White stripes

Here is what I'm starting with. Notice the lovely exterior but ugly underside.
The sapphire blue is what I hope my kar will look like some day.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: Flew down my brother from Boise. He is the best mechanic I know. He and I were able to get a lot done over the last week. Found the hidden vin numbers.

Engine/transmission media blasted, disassembled, cleaned, replaced seals gaskets, resurfaced the heads, resealed engine, painted it.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rebuilt the autolite 4100 C6Z carburetor

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We noticed the clutch assembly had seen better days. Notice the burn damage on the flywheel and clutch pressure plate. I ended up having the flywheel spun and found a new clutch plate assembly from one of our very own VMFrs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on making certain aspects of the car concours correct while leaving the car "clone'ish"?

Don't get me wrong, as I have said it before, it's your car, your money, and your time...however, your direction seems mixed.

·
Super Moderator
8,840 Posts
Looking good Evan.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Looks good Evan. Appears as though you and your brother got a lot of work done.

John

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of curiosity, why are you so hung up on making certain aspects of the car concours correct while leaving the car "clone'ish"?

Don't get me wrong, as I have said it before, it's your car, your money, and your time...however, your direction seems mixed.
I'm interested in retaining much of the originality of the kar. That means the K-code and all its appropriate part numbers. I am also interested in its continued conversion to a true-like shelby gt350 as much as my pockets will endure. I hope to have the closest thing to a real gt-350 at a price that I can afford. Therefore I went out and found the exact body and powerplant Carroll Shelby went after. A C- or A-code clone does not come close enough for me to the real thing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like how the Ford Corporate Blue engine looks. Its a great color. I had to reduce the POR-15 enamel paint with mineral spirits so it was thinner coming out of the paint gun. The blue block coupled with the the matte black powdercoated valve covers and aluminum Shelby intake with the gold Welch plugs (freeze plugs) makes for a beautiful color combination.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kar is disassembled and off to media blasting. And when I say disassembled I mean everything down to the wiring harness and everything off the undercarriage. Suspension remained obviously.

Anticipated fabrication will include new floor pan and cowl replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Glad to see you started a build thread! Looks like you are going to get this cars little issues resolved in no time flat. I notice the block vin stamping is different than the apron vin, any known history about that? Is there such a vin in the k code registry? I never found a vin stamping on my block and the engine assy date was a lot earlier than the car build date by like 6 months...but who knows? What color was the car from the factory? I am of the opinion that I can live with almost any color as long as it is a quality paint job. I think if I ordered one new it would have been the dark green metallic or the burgundy. Your kar, your choice! Keep posting, love the photos!

·
Dimples
3,435 Posts
I’ve got to hand it to you, Evan, you aren’t messing around. It’s enlightening to hear your motivation on the whole project over all.

I dig the level of detail on your buy/install list. I have to imagine that as you tear into it, you’ll find all the little things that make that list 10x what it was when you started.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's an impressive first week! It's already a badass car, should be next level when you're done. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Keep up the good job Evan.!! You are working very hard and you will get great success when finished.!
Thumbs up.!

Josep

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I agree with the others, that is a LOT of progress in a little time! Nice ride you are starting off with.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Your car looked so nice on the hill country cruise last fall that I didn't realize the hidden parts were needing some help. I like that sapphirre blue.

My car will need a little body work and a repaint some day. Maybe in a couple years I'll start in on that project.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update: Placed on rotisserie. Removed tires, brake components and suspension. Getting it ready for media blasting and replacing floor pan. )

Sent off for rebuild:
Kelsey Hayes Proportioning valve was leaking. Sent to White Post Restorations for rebuild (whitepost.com)
Shelby GT-350 tachometer purchased and sent to Phil Severance for Restoration. (Clock and tachometer repair and restoration for vintage autos from Phidon Restorations)
Water pump sent to Fred Ballard for rebuild
Differential sent off to The Twisted Axle for rebuild (media blast, powder coat). Notice the perches bent around the axle. Someone rewelded new plates to compensate. Those will be fixed.

Purchased K-code vin stamped toploader in rebuilt condition and a few other parts.

Purchased red oxide epoxy primer to spray underside and a satin black epoxy for engine bay. (https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/)

Quoted nearly $1200 for Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 base coat/clear coat to paint kar Sapphire Blue (Ford paint code M1905. Sherwin Williams Formula 4377510).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts