Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here's one for the electrical gurus among us...

What about electric motors hooked up to the triangular vent windows? The little chrome twist handle would probably have to be removed (so they could operate smoothly at the touch of a power-window button).

To be honest, it would really be a pretty useless upgrade...just another button that makes something move. About the only point would be to show off on cruise nights - but isn't that the whole idea?!

Anyone ever tried this; or have any suggestions for motors and techniques?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I glanced at the site, but didn't see anything specifically for the vent windows. I know there are several kits for the roll-down windows - I'm talking about the vent windows that pivot open. It would need to be a kind of twist-motor. Know what I mean?

·
Administrator
19,354 Posts
I don't recall ever noticing any, but I never looked too hard at old Tbirds. One idea that jumps to mind would be making a shaft going up into the lower pivot and attaching a motor to the shaft down inside the door. Lots of Windstars have power motors that open the rear quarter glasses. One of these type motors might be just the thing. IIRC power quarter glasses were an option on '92 up Chrysler Grand Caravans too.
I'd bet someone has a pitted vent glass assembly really cheap to experiment on. Remote control of the passenger side vent might be kinda neat.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
there is a set of motors on . the bottom pivet needs to be replaced with a drive shaft. Sounds like a lot of work for little payback. Remember you will have to build this like a ship in a bottle. Everything that you install inside the door everything must be installed through a few small holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts