Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a used MSD box from the local engine builder, for use on a customer's 302. It is a 6ALN box. This is a very very interesting box. The N stands for NASCAR. The bottom plate of the box is a clear plastic type material that allows the track tech inspectors to visual check the inside of the box for suspicious extras. In addition, the connection off the side of the box is a GM style connector so that after a race, the tech folks can pull the box and plug it into a diagnostic machine which will detect the presence of any electronic traction control device additions. Also, there is a separate pigtail that feeds an ignition kill switch which mounts on the steering wheel. In the event the throttle sticks open, the driver hits the switch and shuts off the ignition box, thus turning off the engine. I got a great price onthe box, at under $100, plus a used MSD coil. I will use the "kill" switch as a security/anti-theft device and wire it to a switch hidden in the driver's area. The GM type connector is off it now and I will use weatherpak type connectors or similar, to wire it to the MSD dizzy. Very interesting. The box had an 8400 rpm rev limiter chip in it, but swapped down to 6,000 rpm for my use.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. The info verifies this is an "authentic" race product - haha. The car can be described on eBay as being modified with aftermarket race-ready parts.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I remember about to pull the trigger on one from ebay and read something that turned me away. Are there any certain features that makes it not usable on a street car? Can't remember why, but something made me think i couldn't use it on my car. They have them on ebay all the time from Nascar teams, as well as the matching MSD coil.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts