Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this on fleabay and I asked the guy about the double fog light switches. His response was that it is a factory switch for something else but he doesnt know what for. One switch says "fog" on it, the other is blank. Anybody run across something like this?

The pic is quite a ways down in the auction...

Ford : Mustang - eBay (item 200575098507 end time Mar-03-11 09:53:59 PST)

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
The "FOG" knob is blank on the other side. Somebody is using a FOG switch for another purpose.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
??

I like the deciphering for 07 being a fastback! He obviously doesn't realize ALL 66's were wired for fog lights and doesn't mean it's a real GT! Needs further investinagin' !!

·
Registered
194 Posts
PonyDoc, not all 66's were wired for fog lights. When I got mine it had all it's original wiring and there was NO fog light wiring. I had to add it on when I replaced all my wiring.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
i never thought about using another fog light switch for something else. i could use a second one to turn my cb kicker on and off by remote.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
All classic Mustangs were definitely not wired for fog lights.

It is kind of a neat idea to use a fog switch to control something else.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Correct on cars NOT all being wired for fog. Answers like this are easy to sort out. Just take a look in any vendor parts catalog and see how/why would there be diff harnesses. Applies to other options as well. My 67, non GT, GT with fog no tach, tach no fog, etc. Each requires diff main harness as well as engine harness.

The switch, maybe trunk light? Also thought rear defroster??

Also why NO pic of trunk??? Plenty of side shots though. Says chrome all in great shape. Looks like backup light housing pitted & maybe not even hooked up.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
PonyDoc, not all 66's were wired for fog lights. When I got mine it had all it's original wiring and there was NO fog light wiring. I had to add it on when I replaced all my wiring.
Hmmm… It's pretty common to find the gray-with-black-stripe-and-eye-terminal wire cloth-taped to the main harness near the wiper motor. You're saying yours did not have this? The retrofit under-dash kit comes with this wire, so it's no big deal either way.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Correct on cars NOT all being wired for fog. Answers like this are easy to sort out. Just take a look in any vendor parts catalog and see how/why would there be diff harnesses. Applies to other options as well. My 67, non GT, GT with fog no tach, tach no fog, etc. Each requires diff main harness as well as engine harness.

The switch, maybe trunk light? Also thought rear defroster??
67-up is a regular dog's breakfast of choices, but the foglight wire is often seen on 65-66 mains under the dash. Nothing else, of course. Other oddball options, such as those you name, typically required an add-on harness. Even non-power top convertibles had no provision for the top motor.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Lot of pics.........no pic of door tag as there's none. Why no trunk pics? Nothing said about 65 interior ala bench, AC works?...... drain hose cut, original wheel........from grant. GT exhaust clamps???????? driver fender has no cutout for vin. NO vin showing.
Worse part is the statement of no guarantee re authenticity. To buy that car without examining?? Not even a chance of winning at Russian Roulette!! Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
driver fender has no cutout for vin. NO vin showing.
I'm getting old and my eyes aren't that good anymore but I can see the cutout in the driver fender. It's hard to see because the inner fender is also painted red at that point. I guess the "painter" didn't care to mask that area before painting....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
66 wiring

When I had my shop, we found a lot of 66's that were pre-wired for fog lights. I have no idea as to place in producation, but we were always told it was done since fog lights were a very popular add-on. We even saw a lot of 6 cyl w/ the wiring. It may have also been factory specific, as we did not pay attention to which factory or build dates, just charged for putting the lights on. Some were NOT pre-wired, but it was more typical to find ones that were. Never really paid a lot of attention at the time, just accepted the explanation. I'm positive someone here knows a lot more about this and can shed more light on the subject. Charles??

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Anyone got a pic of the foglight wiring conduit on the main harness? I've got my main harness out of the car at the moment and hanging on the wall for cleaning/detailing... I could check mine really quick.. Would love to know... I'll have to pull a factory wiring manual.. I've never looked..

Midlife would know the answer to this one without even looking..

Midlife... Where are you??

Tony K.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts