Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1967 fastback Mustang 289 to hipo specs with fitech, 4r70w auto, Shelby drop.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two owner 1967 fastback that lived its entire life in Texas, and has been off the road since the 80's. Anyone ever seen this stamping on their car? This is on the passenger side just below the door.
IMG_0631.jpeg

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Ford apparently bought that galvanized steel in sheets or rolls from the manufacturer. That would be the company's logo that was ink stamped onto the steel.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Yep, steel manufacturer's ink stamp.

If you want to see something cool, do a search on "steel coil processing"

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
It's actually pretty cool- kinda like a surprise in the Wonka bar!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to take a guess that the stamp may say that it is Weirkote from the Weirton Steel Company (which would indeed indicate that it was galvanized).

·
Registered
1967 fastback Mustang 289 to hipo specs with fitech, 4r70w auto, Shelby drop.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought it was really cool! My passenger front floor has a little bit of rust. After seeing this, makes me want to keep the original pan in it. At the very least I'm going to be careful to not get any paint in the area of the stamping. Not the best picture, but what do you think of the floor?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The fact that you already see a rust hole in that pan tells me to dig deeper. Take a wire wheel and I bet you will be surprised at what you find. Swiss cheese is my guess. Mine was similar with no visible holes but rusty. I thought I was fine until I wire wheeled it and poked a sharp object easily through in many places.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Well, I guess the proof would be after tracking down history on that stamp to see if something if it actually designated it as galvanized. Regardless, really cool.
Looking at the metal tells me it's galvanized. I work in sheet metal, so it's kinda second nature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts