Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Matt( mjbusna05) just did this.Last month I believe. He took photo's along the way and posted on the forum on his way to the west coast.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have thought about it but i'm not quite brave enough to try it... LOL. First and foremost, there are MANY, MANY things that can go wrong with these old cars, you would have to be VERY confident that you have gone over everything with a fine tooth comb. Also, where do you stop to stay overnight that's safe for your Mustang to sit outside all night? These babies are EASY to steal and with the $$$ I have in mine it's just not worth the risk. Perhaps if I set up a network of VMF'ers (across the country) that would let me keep the car on their propery or something like that I might do it... JMO.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
sort of a VMF bed and breakfast ? :)
If you decide to do it and you are near northern Ohio, you are welcome.
R

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Anyone done something like this?
When I retired from the Marines in Yuma AZ back in 2000, I had 2 classic Mustangs. Immediate employment with a gov. contractor on the East Coast required me to relocate. I left Yuma at 1PM on a Friday afternoon in my VERY recently rebuilt '68 FB and was drinking beer with my brother 15 miles from the Atlantic in Eastern NC on Sunday evening.

It rained from El Paso to Atlanta (almost the entire way across I-20!). Atlanta on Sunday morning finally brought sunshine and a quickie car wash.

Other than the bad weather, the trip was uneventful. I slept for a few hours in Midland TX and Atlanta at little motels where I could park the car right outside the rooms window.

I would recommend giving yourself more than a weekend to get across the country, either that or watch Vanishing Point a few times before starting out.

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Robins_nest said:
sort of a VMF bed and breakfast ? :)
If you decide to do it and you are near northern Ohio, you are welcome.
R
There ya are, trying to get a date again. You didnt even ask if he liked C&W music or if he can play an instrument... :shrug:

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Sure, I drove my heavily loaded coupe back and forth from Michigan to Arizona five times in 1976 through 1979.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Despite the problems, on our recent Ocala trip. We are already planning several cross country trips. But not untill I get "Dolores" back in shape & all the demons out.....Hehheh

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Tubo said:
Despite the problems, on our recent Ocala trip. We are already planning several cross country trips. But not untill I get "Dolores" back in shape & all the demons out.....Hehheh
Corky, I was waiting for you to chime in after your ordeal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
there was a show on yesterday mustangs across america where thy drove form la to NY (i think) they had about 20 or so mustangs form the 60's they did it in 5 days

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I finish building my fastback (which I haven't started yet) the plan is to drive it coast-to-coast and back.

Like was mentioned above, I am intending to appeal to the VMF & StangNet forums for safe stopover hideouts -- I think it would be pretty easy to organize!

Any one who ever needs a layover is more than welcome to lock their Mustang in my shop and stay at my house. A soak in the hot tub would be just the ticket after a long day in the saddle!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That was my original plan until I went crazy with the concourse direction. Next one will be a driver with modern upgrades and the top down as long as the weather holds. I figure Las Vegas to Route 66 all the way to Chicago, then down South somewhere, then back to Vegas. I did four 3000 miles trips in my '91 ZR-1 and it's really fun to get out and let the car unwind. I figure a 66 Stang will be just as much fun...if I don't have to worry about keeping it clean. ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
In the past I've driven my Mustang to Pa. via Smokey mountains, Atlantic City, Washington D.C. and to Santa Rosa, Ca. via Las Vegas and San Francisco. Had one of my children with me on each trip. Had a great time and thinking about doing another trip maybe next year. I would check over my vehicle to make sure everyting was in tip-top shape even if it was a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last August (our winter, but no snow here)the missus and i felt like a drive, so the 68 scored an oil and filter change and a wheel alignment and we headed off from Buderim down the East Coast of Australia, through Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road, Adelaide, up through the Red Centre to Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, up to Tennant Creek, across to Mount Isa, Longreach, Rockhampton, and back down to home at Buderim.
Did 9600 km's (6000 miles) in 12 days, stayed in quality motels and with family along the way.
Great drive, especially through the Northern Territory where there is no speed limit.
You will have to have a look on Google Earth or a map to see this route (dont forget to turn the map upside down!!

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
In 2001, I went from Panama City, FL to Des Moines and back (2500 miles). The only problem I had was that my radiator cap failed to allow coolant to return from the overflow tank.

Nevertheless, I will not do THAT again in the middle of the summer, as I had no air conditioning. I was miserable after 4 hours on the road.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Reen/All,
I can't believe I've never visited your shop - I have a buddy in Santa Barbara and I was in LA just two weekends ago and drove up 101 to SB - could have easily stopped by. :beer: :beer:
I've always wanted to do a good long distance ride. Longest day was probably a 200 mile day. Zero issues, surprisingly good mileage with a .63 rear 5-speed and the original 302-2v. Make sure you have AAA and a trunk filled with all fluids, especially emergency food and water if you get stranded. And think about where you will park it and how you will secure it - especially, think about Lojack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts