Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting for the car to be done by Saturday for a show. But, nope. Everything I touch has problems. Fitting my original pieces back on the car won't line up. The repro pieces I buy that are supposed to work together are not without modifying. I have yet to run into a part that bolts right on and I am done. oooohhhh the humanity of it all!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ten years ago I finished a car in time for a big event in Las Vegas (not SEMA), but on the way there, the brand new fuel pump died. I very embarrasingly arrived on a flatbed, spent much of the trip on the phone and pounding the pavement sourcing a replacement and wrenching in the Luxor garage. Then five years ago I worked feverishly for a whole summer to get another car ready for the same event. I finally had the car running at about three weeks before the trip, enough time for some shakedown runs and working the bugs out, then the cylinder head developed a crack. There was no time to source a replacement and put back together in time for the trip. After feeling very sorry for myself for several days, I bought a plane ticket to Vegas, went anyway and had probably a much better time just hanging with the club than if I'd been fussing over my car the whole trip. Since then, I have sworn never again to set a deadline for any car project. Its just a hobby and setting deadlines is just setting myself up for disappointment. There will always be another show. Heck, I never even pre-register anymore unless its required. Even if the car is perfect, it might rain buckets that day. Just relax and take your time finishing the car. Try to enjoy the process rather than anticipating the end result.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have a 1965 Convertible to deliver this Weekend. Body work and Paint completed........One more adjustment was needed. Well, let's leave it at a complete Hood repaint.

Marty.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I missed my deadline and now I'm actually more relaxed. I got the front/rear glass in and new radiator/fan in yesterday. I was able to get it running last night and stand back and just feel the horsepower. Now I'm back on a good note and I don't hate my car anymore :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, hate it; hate it with a passion, man. You wouldn't believe the obsceneties I throw at my 'Wife' late into the night. And with gusto, no less. Ford made these cars to be the bane of exhistance! But they're just too good an underdog to let go.

But yea', I could see where a deadline would make wrenching on the ride more a 'job' than a fun 'hobby'. Personal goals aside and all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford was not the four letter word of choice this week for sure. It just blows the mind that you can unscrew something and go to screw it back in and it won't fit! nothing was modified anywhere around it and it wont fit. unbelieveable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts