Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I''m gonna try this, but I know it will be hard to help without seeing the car. Anywayz, maybe someone has had this before.

For some reason, my wiring got messed up. The wiring worked fine before I began work (installing a rebuilt engine), but I have messed with a few things. Right now, the problem is that the flasher goes all of the time, ignition "on", "off", or "accesory" position. However it is not the turn signals that blink, but the gear indicator light (on the floor by the shift lever) Besides this, there is no power to my gauges. It seems almost like the power is going through the wires backward, and so skipping the ignition switch until last.

I messed with a lot of the wires at the solenoid, and re-wired my ammeter as well. Besides that, I could have bumped a loose wire, but I didn't do anything else on purpose...

If anyone has any ideas on how I could work with this, I would appreciate it so much. Thanks you guys, you're awesome!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, that's going to be tought to resolve, even with the car in sight.

If you've scrambled the wiring, the only solution I can see is to rewire it all over again. I'd start with a good wiring diagram---one that shows both schematic and illustration views. I've got a reproduction of Ford's diagrams, cost about $10 or $12 at Mustangs Plus (probably others carry it or one like it as well).

Check out the FAQ link below, look in Where to Get section for wiring diagrams.

Jerry

The FAQs, nothing but the FAQs: http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

If you can't [color:red]dazzle</font color=red> [color:green]them</font color=green> [color:yellow]with</font color=yellow> [color:purple]brilliance</font color=purple>, baffle 'em with bull<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by a65ragtop on 04/21/01 12:09 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree w/ the other post, however, look at another Mustang, like yours. Start from scatch, one wire at atime. It is not going to be easy, and it is going to take time. Hang in there, there are some good electrical guys on the forum.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You need a volt/amp meter. If you don't have one, go to radio shack and buy one. The cheapest one they have will do.

The flashers are supposed to not need a key. pull the little button on the steering wheel out.

The dash lights. Power goes on when the head light switch is on. From the switch it runs to the little fuse in the fuse block. turn the headlights on, set the volt meter to the 10 volt range. put the COM wire to bare metal like the head of the screw on the emergency brake, and touch red + wire to the bottom post of the small fuse and the top post of the small fuse. And then to the fuse running horizontal on the bottom of the fuse block (either or both sides). if none of these show voltage your not doing it right. if only one side of the small fuse is showing power then the fuse is bad. if neither side of the small fuse shows power but the bottom one does then the headlight switch is bad (or not connected). if top and bottom of the small fuse shows power then the problem is in the cluster. either not plugged in the big white connector or there is a bad ground. If you get this far and still need help give a shout. if this all just went over your head seek professional help.

I just went through this on my 1967.

MotorHead

http://www.alltel.net/~motorhead/mustang2.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts