Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This link is to Bellanger headers. Scroll down to Art & Science section.
They made headers for Shelbys in the 60': shttps://belangerheaders.com/header-technology/

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Interesting read. Like the part about having to detune headers so as not to pull the intake charge though and out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
"De-tuning" is an interesting choice of terms. I read that as marketing BS that some how their headers are so good that they have to be "de-tuned". I would liken the tuning to be like an induction system, that can be rich or lean. "Tuned" is somewhere in the middle of rich and lean. For a header there is a similar sweetspot (tune) for flow & velocity. Getting the header to work optimally for the purpose intended is "tuning" it, not "de-tuning" it from max velocity or flow. It's like saying, I "de-tuned" my 289 by removing the dual 1,100 cfm carbs in favor of a single 600 cfm when in reality I would be bringing the engine more into tune.

Kudos to them for working to dispel the myth that flow is everything.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I hope the experts on the main forum don't see this thread!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I remember back in the old days, a lot of buddies would slap a set of headers on expecting the magical big increase in HP. What they usually got was a lot more noise and burnt valves unless they were smart enough to up the jetting and play with the timing. A couple actually seemed to loose a lot of low end grunt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts