Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on restoring a 66 mustang with the 200ci. The carb was leaking a bit so I decided to do a rebuild. After rebuilding the carb the exhaust is now blowing black smoke/soot. I know this is caused by having too much gas in the air/fuel mixture. Is there an easy way to fix this or will I have to go and rebuild the carb? I've been searching the other forms and I only see people being suggested to do another carb rebuild.
Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like you need to tune your carb. I’m not an I6 guy so I’m not really familiar with the carbs on them... but do you happen to have a manual with a section on running the exact carb in your car?
Is your car blowing black smoke at idle? Part throttle?

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
With the engine off, be sure the float is set at the correct level and you have a stock jet in the carb, then gently turn the idle mixture screw all the way in til it stops, then turn it out 2 full turns. Connect a vacuum gauge to a constant vacuum on the engine. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line that goes to the distributor. Start the engine, let it get to regular temperature and set the idle to factory RPM. Gently turn the idle mixture screw in, or out, to the best setting while adjusting the idle RPM, and also hopefully achieving maximum and steady vacuum at idle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you need to tune your carb. I’m not an I6 guy so I’m not really familiar with the carbs on them... but do you happen to have a manual with a section on running the exact carb in your car?
Is your car blowing black smoke at idle? Part throttle?
I am running the autolite 1100. Its blowing smoke at idle and acceleration

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the engine off, be sure the float is set at the correct level and you have a stock jet in the carb, then gently turn the idle mixture screw all the way in til it stops, then turn it out 2 full turns. Connect a vacuum gauge to a constant vacuum on the engine. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line that goes to the distributor. Start the engine, let it get to regular temperature and set the idle to factory RPM. Gently turn the idle mixture screw in, or out, to the best setting while adjusting the idle RPM, and also hopefully achieving maximum and steady vacuum at idle.
Thanks, I was thinking of lowering the float level a bit. Ill go ahead and try that out today

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I lowered the float on the carb just a bit and it definitley look like there less black smoke if there is any at all. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
You might need to change the oil. It's possible excess fuel ran into the oil pan and diluted the oil. You might see a layer of clear fuel floating over the oil on the dipstick. You might even see what appears to be an overfilled oil pan. Back in the days before fuel injection, excess fuel washing the pistons and diluting the oil caused many engines to wear prematurely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might need to change the oil. It's possible excess fuel ran into the oil pan and diluted the oil. You might see a layer of clear fuel floating over the oil on the dipstick. You might even see what appears to be an overfilled oil pan. Back in the days before fuel injection, excess fuel washing the pistons and diluting the oil caused many engines to wear prematurely.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitley check that out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts