Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those bolts that connect the manifold to the first section of tailpipe are friggin welded on... Geez. They don't look too rusty, but ol WD-40 isn't cutting it this time, and I'm afraid I'm going to break them. Should I bring it to Midas? Or Breakem? Or pray to the gods of all that is not rusty that they'll magically spin off with my bare hand?
Seriously, anyone had luck with a special trick? I don't have a torch.

(My exhaust donuts are shot, and she is sounding a bit loud)

1966 C-Code Convertible, 59 Edsel Villager
Charlotte, NC
New Cars Have No Soul.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why do you want to take the studs off if they are not too rusty? If they look a little stripped, you might try using a die on them to clean up the threads. Hope this helps.

Cecil Bozarth

1966 GT Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise with black pony interior)

1994 GT Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, i had hipo manifolds on my car and switched to headers. Anyways, I'm assuming you cannot get the 2 nuts on the manifold loose. I doubt they would break, just be sure not to strip the nut. A long wrench or rachet should give you enough leverage to 'break' the rust seal. I would continually spray WD40 on it tonite so it can soak in good over night. I also belief the stud comes out but i do not know how to do it.

@jay
even god doesn't know everything about mustangs

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Personally i would crank the compressor up, put a 6 point socket on the impact wrench and pull the trigger. An impact has a better chance than hand ratches because at least for me tends to strip the heads because of all the sideways movement. If they break at least the pipe will be loose, then you just need to remove the manifold and take it up to the machine shop for repair (no biggy).

MotorHead

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to put an acetylene torch on it. Trying to muscle it off may result in a sheared stud - and that will really make your day.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, soak em with PB BLASTER better than WD40 if that doesn't work get out the fire wrench!!!! Heat them up and once they start to turn don't stop till they're off. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
BP Blaster does amaizing things.....Highly recommend using first, let it work for a couple of days!

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think your best bet would be to go buy one of those small propane torches made by Coleman (and others). You should be able to buy the torch and small canister for about $15. I found that a little heat works great!

1966 Coupe - GT - 4 speed
http://www.workforcescc.com/pdf/Side4.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts