Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will hopefully be fitting exhaust cutouts soon, problem is the gap for fitment on the driver's side pipe is going to be slightly different to the passenger side pipe due to the way the exhaust system has been fitted in the past, so is it going to be an issue at all if the cutouts are not symmetrical in terms of location ? They will both obviously be in front of the exhaust boxes, thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
I will hopefully be fitting exhaust cutouts soon, problem is the gap for fitment on the driver's side pipe is going to be slightly different to the passenger side pipe due to the way the exhaust system has been fitted in the past, so is it going to be an issue at all if the cutouts are not symmetrical in terms of location?
Well, I know that would be an issue for me.
Why not do what you need to and get it right? :shrug:

·
Registered
205 Posts
You will have to modify the exhaust to fit the cut outs.
I am doing this at the moment and it can be a pain as the drivers side hugs the fuel tank.
If you are handy with a welder, you can do it but is much easier to tac on the car and then remove the section to weld.
Don't forget to remove the earth lead on the battery.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Mock up the valence to the car. Then use a paint stick or dry marker to locate where the gas tank and the shackles are really at. THEN cut accordingly.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Even though they are illegal(I think) in my state, I'm really like REALLY tempted to get a set for my rig. It would be best to have them be the same distance on the exhaust but a couple inches won't matter.

What means this, "obviously be in front of the exhaust boxes". What is an exhaust box?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Even though they are illegal(I think) in my state, I'm really like REALLY tempted to get a set for my rig. It would be best to have them be the same distance on the exhaust but a couple inches won't matter.

What means this, "obviously be in front of the exhaust boxes". What is an exhaust box?
I think he means mufflers.

BTW are cutouts illegal if you keep them closed on the street?

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
My understanding is that just having them installed is considered illegal but you have to get caught. On vehicles that require a full inspection, any alteration or modification of the exhaust system is a fail. I don't know how these newer vehicle active exhaust or bypass systems are considered legal if they bypass the cats or mufflers. Maybe they have tunable baffles on the mufflers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts