Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know anything will fit anything with a little work ::...But I want to know if there is any difference that would make a GT exhaust not fit on a 289. I'm going to be putting on some headers also. Thanks.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
GT was a handling package. It had nothing to do with the engine or the car itself, other than the fact that all early GT's were either A or K code cars (289 V8). Therefore, the only thing you have to worry about is the rear brake lines if your car was originally a single exhaust car.

As a side note, part of the GT package was dual exhaust.

·
Registered
35,977 Posts
FYI, the tailpipes for a '65-66 GT will NOT fit without replacing or modifying the rear valance or modifying the tailpipes with a "turndown" on the end. The original "GT" exhaust exits through holes in the rear valance. Chrome exhaust "trumpets" and trim rings around the holes finish the valance off.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
... and they won't bolt up to your headers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
While we are talking about 65/66 dual exaust and rear valances, how rare is a NOS rear valance with just the dual exaust holes?

·
Registered
35,977 Posts
Don't really know, but it would be '65 specific since that's the only year that backup lamps were an option.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I see them fairly regularly on ebay. But what I don't ever see are valances with just backup light holes, which is what I want. Just my luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts