Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a post earlier concerning headers for my 289 2bbl. it was suggested that i should switch over to a 4bbl intake and carb with dual exhaust to actually upgrade my engine. how difficult would it be to change over to a 4bbl intake from a 2bbl? how much would it cost to do this? any help or suggestions would help. thanks

G

·
0 Posts
well, switching from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel, is simple as buying a new carb, and manifold.

a 600cfm holley 4160 will set you back about 260 bucks, and a edelbrock performer RPM manifold costs about 150...not to say you have to use specifically either of those parts, that's just to give you a ballpark idea of cost. And of course, with increased flow, yes you'll want dual exhaust with headers to get rid of all the exhaust gasses quicker than manifolds

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Eh, Jesse made it sound very simple. However, somebody has to install the manifold too. If you decide to do that yourself, use search function on this forum for tips. If you decide to have it done by a shop, ask here for recommendations and pricing.

4V and headers will let your engine to breath when revving over 4k rpm. They might also give a few lbs.ft. torque on the lower rpms too. The headers only would also help breathing upstairs, because the exhaust side in small block Ford is notorious and anything that helps, really helps. If money is a problem, you can first have the exhaust done and add 4v carb and intake later. You could report the difference between stock, 2V + headers and 4V + headers and get some respect from us dyno sheet geeks. Depending on your goals, you can settle for mild set up like Edelbrock Perfomer or if cam swap and head work is tempting, you can get RPM style combo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts