Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on installing a new set of headers on my 66 conv. the engine is a 289 2-barrel. i was wondering what type of headers you would recommend on my daily driver. i dont want anything too expensive or too high performing, just a good set of headers too upgrade my stock 289. thanks

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
headers will improve MPG with a 2v carb but it won't increase HP or torque by much.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I chose shorty headers rather than full-length because they tend to interfere less with the mechanical systems and do not compromise ground clearance.

While there are some very nice (and rather pricey) premium shorties on the market, like JBA and Sanderson, I chose the budget route, paying about 100 bucks for Hedmans. Only after making sure they fit my car well did I send them out to be ceramic coated.

Total investment: $275

So far, no regrets on my choice.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Not to step on toes but my super comps Hookers don't really give me to much in the way of ground clearence problems and my car is slammed! I've had trouble only with really wide speed bumps.
The other items to take note is if your car has powersteering or not. If it does..go ahead and get the powersteering bracket and put it in. Other wise that driver side header will never bolt up...no matter how high you jack the car up ::
Hedmans..tri-y's ..they all work with a really good mufflers job. A trick to the headers lasting is to get them coated.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i just installed hedman elite's. the come already ceramic coated. they go for 259.00. they are the full tube(long) type header.the fit my 72 stang just perfect didnt even need the ps bracket that was recommended. good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I also recommend Full lenghts and would consider getting a 4v carb and aluminum intake. The reason why full lenghts fit in our cars w/out getting a bracket for the power steering is because we have more room in the engine bay and the power steering unit isnt as close as it is on older stangs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts