Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think would sound the best on my 347 stroker? I have headers and a roller cam.... I have flo 40's but someone told me the magnaflows are good.... i returned the 40's now dont know what to get ... someone also suggested glasspacks.... thanks!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
im a die hard flowmaster guy. youll find out everyone has their preference. to me you cant go wrong with 40 series

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have a set of flowtech afterburners and I'm very pleased with the sound..They aren't overly loud when cruising but they sound awesome when you stand on it...No drone either....I hate glass packs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
flows sound pretty good to some people but they are not the greatest for HP, dynomax ultra flo, borla, magnaflow all sound great and wont kill power. Glass packs are old school and not really performance mufflers except like race bullets. I'm not a fan of flowmasters as they have a tinny sound and drone like crazy, for the price i dont think you cant beat a magnaflow,they are very similar in design to borlas but cheaper.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There's a thread on the modified forum called "Ford Racing Dual Mode Mufflers" You should read it. IMO Or you could bolt on a pair of "Purple Hornies". Just kiddin.... Check out the thread!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I just bought a set of the Ford dual mode mufflers for my 69 but will not have them on for awhile. The way they work is the exhaust enters the muffler. While at low RPM they go through the different baffles in the muffler. Then when you hit somewhere around 4000 RPM (from what I am told)a spring loaded valve opens and the exhaust goes through another pass that is straight through.I am told they are very quite at normal driving. Can not wait to get them on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the Ford Racing mufflers on my 65 with a 390 horse 302. They are terrific. When cruising along at highway speeds you can have a conversation or listen to the audio system. When you stand on it you'd think you were running open pipes. No drone. The sound is awesome. i drove my Pony cross country (see Feb issue of Mustang Monthly p.46) and never once was bothered by the sound. If anything it was music to my ears. One drawback -- they are expensive but in my opinion worth every penny, rather every dollar.

·
7,124 Posts
mod9 said:
I just bought a set of the Ford dual mode mufflers for my 69 but will not have them on for awhile. The way they work is the exhaust enters the muffler. While at low RPM they go through the different baffles in the muffler. Then when you hit somewhere around 4000 RPM (from what I am told)a spring loaded valve opens and the exhaust goes through another pass that is straight through.I am told they are very quite at normal driving. Can not wait to get them on.
I sure wish someone would post a video with those dual mode mufflers. I'm really curious to hear them.

Phil

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ralph said:
flows sound pretty good to some people but they are not the greatest for HP, dynomax ultra flo, borla, magnaflow all sound great and wont kill power. Glass packs are old school and not really performance mufflers except like race bullets. I'm not a fan of flowmasters as they have a tinny sound and drone like crazy, for the price i dont think you cant beat a magnaflow,they are very similar in design to borlas but cheaper.
Gotta agree on the Magnaflows. Took the old glasspacks off :thumbsdown: Bad drone at cruising. Put Mags on. Very quiet....until you get on it and them it's like open exhaust. Don't have quite the engine you do. I imagine yours would only sound better.

·
Registered
632 Posts
HoosierBuddy said:
I sure wish someone would post a video with those dual mode mufflers. I'm really curious to hear them.

Phil

Are the clips FLICTRA posted in the original thread you posted in not what you are looking for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts